MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 06-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Steel Addict

Dewalt portaband saw

I am trying to decide on the Chinese harbor freight band saw 4x6 250.00 or just get a Dewalt portaband saw 299.00 I can make a table and mount for it. any advice?? Right now I use a Hitachi saws all, it is difficult and blades dont last long
Old 06-07-2013, 09:52 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Personally, I prefer the larger saw, for one thing the blades are longer and therefore should last longer. But, plenty of guys like the porta bands although lack of space is usually the prime motivator. However, I don't remember reading any endorsements for the DeWalt. Although DeWalt makes excellent equipment it turns out not all porta band designs work well for our use. I forget what the soft spots are but you are trying to force a portable tool to do the job of a larger stationary tool so what do you expect? Somebody will come along and fill in the blanks in my memory pretty soon, with any luck ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-08-2013, 01:51 AM
Skilled

A few months ago I purchased the HF metal bandsaw.. Its all right, but a heck of alot better than using an angle grinder and cut off wheels. I have only used it in the vertical position. The work rest is a POS and I need to make a new one of thicker steel but its working for now.. but dont use HF saw blades they are crapola. I got the 1 yr warrenty on it, i figure ill just take it back for a new one when times getting close. I think Ed Caffery uses one as well.
~Nate
Old 06-08-2013, 07:27 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

If there is one power tool that is most common to every knife maker it would probably be there HF 4x7 bandsaw, nearly everybody has one. Or, if they don't have the HF they probably have another brand name of the identical design (like my Grizzly). For the price you don't expect a perfect product but with a little care and fiddling they do the job just fine ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 06-08-2013, 02:08 PM
Steel Addict

I have never had much luck with HF, too me it under that ole saying of "you get what you pay for"! But then again if that is all you can afford then go for it! After losing a few tools because I couldn't afford the better one I learned too be patient and save a little more for what I wanted!

Here is my set-up with the Dewwalt portaband:

I built the upright mount for it, the top is mounted where the original handle is on the saw when you buy it.

It has now been moved to its own table, and when I get the new power ran too it their will be no cords anywhere on the table as you can see in this pic!

Here is a shot of the steel table I made for it. I kept the original mounting screws for the small guide that comes on the original saw! The yellow lines are meant to be a guide for getting started square too the blade. Works good especially when free handing a piece into the saw.
I will be the first to tell you, if you are not careful it is quite easy too warp a blade when trying to do a radius. and once you warp one it is warped for life. You will end up having to turn the piece sideways to maintain a square cut!

The switch is tied back, power is run through a foot switch I picked up off of eBay!

Now make no mistake about you can not cut tight radius's with any bandsaw. The thickness of the blade only allows so tight of a turn. However there are ways around that, as well as other tools that do a better job on tight radius's!

So I guess my vote goes for the Dewalt. I just have never had good luck with HF tools. The quality is just not built into the tool and they seem to not last for me. Although I will not deny I have bought a few over the years. I have to examine how cost effective the purchase will be for me!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft

Last edited by C Craft; 06-08-2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by C Craft View Post
Here is my set-up with the Dewwalt portaband:

You have motivated me, this is awesome.

I did look up a dewalt saw, $269 at Home Depot. Harbor Freight has theirs on sale for $82.99 and a 20% off coupon. Dropping the price to $66.39.

Aaron
Old 06-09-2013, 08:00 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the info. very good points, C Craft that is the setup I was thinking of thanks
Old 06-17-2013, 07:41 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to combs6136
I have converted 5 of the saws for vertical use for friends.....Simple to do...I have an extra one right now...............No harbor freight.........carl

Tags
advice, angle, at home, awesome, back, band saw, bee, blade, blades, brand, common, design, forge, handle, home, knife, made, make, mount, simple, steel, tools