MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-24-2014, 11:42 AM
Enthusiast

Knife making sanding block?

While doing the before HT sanding, I tried to look for a good block to use. Something smaller and had a hard backing so I could keep the edges of the grind crisp. All of the home improvement stored had sanding blocks for wood of drywall. None of the blocks looked like they would work very well. Most had a paced backing. I then looked online at places that seem automotive bodywork supplies (Eastwood.com). But still didn't see anything that I thought would work.

Where can I find a smaller sized sanding block that would be well suited for working on a knife?
Do you all make your own? I ended up wrapping some popsicle sticks with the sandpaper and working.
Old 05-24-2014, 01:07 PM

I will use small pieces of hardwood if I need to match a contour or for just cleaning up the flats I will use a pice of ground steel as a backer. One plate I have is .5x3x8, this allows me to sand the entire surface flat while keep the corners clean. Most steel supliers will offer ground flat stock, I would even say cold finished flat bar would be fine.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:20 PM
Steel Addict

A piece of 1/8" 1080 or 1084 works great. You can heat treat it if you'd like and surface grind it if you feel it isn't flat enough as is. Micarta is another choice. A well known maker here also uses a chunk of aluminum that been surface ground and shaped into a triangle on the end to get into tight areas. Pretty much anything stiff and flat will work. Make a few, try em, keep what u like and pitch the rest.
Old 05-24-2014, 08:10 PM
Steel Addict

I use a piece of micarta with a narrower wooden "handle" on top. It works just fine. I just ordered an extra scale blank from jantz to make it with.
Old 05-25-2014, 06:39 AM
Steel Addict

Here is a link to how to make a 'sanding stick'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDVVprFLZEU

I hope you all find it useful.
Old 05-27-2014, 06:32 AM

>>I use a piece of micarta with a narrower wooden "handle" on top. It works just fine. I just ordered an extra scale blank from jantz to make it with. <<

This ('bout the only thing I use micarta for).
Just experiment with shapes and handles. Rubbing out blades can really give you hand fatigue if you don't. Best thing about the micarta is it won't scratch/gouge your finish if it breaks through your paper.
Also, don't opt for cheap paper, use good quality and plenty of cutting fluid. Windex works well for me, but everyone has a preference.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 05-27-2014, 09:01 PM
Enthusiast

I use a 3/32x1 bar of precision ground O1 steel as a sanding block. Order some Mirka gold PSA sandpaper from www.supergrit.com - then you just cut off a piece about 1 1/2 inch long so you can stick it onto the sanding bar with about an eighth inch hanging over each side. This will get your blade much flatter than any wooden sanding block or anything else with a soft backing on it.

Old 05-27-2014, 09:16 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks for the tips. I used the small left over piece of 440 from the knife I cut out. Worked much better having a hard back. Ive seen some others online in videos but maybe the person made it themselves.

Tags
1084, bee, block, cleaning, cold, flat, grind, handle, heat, heat treat, home, how to, knife, knife making, make, make your own, making, micarta, pitch, sand, steel, supplies, surface, wood