MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-30-2012, 11:18 PM
Skilled

Birch Bark question

My father reciently sold one of the hunting camps he has owned since i was an infant, needless to say he was rather sentimental about the place. I took it upon myself to remove a burl and some birch bark from the property before the sale was complete. I am going to make at least one knife from each of the woods and give one to him as something to remember the camp with.

I have seen birch bark handles made from stacking the bark, i was wondering if any one has tried making a birch bark laminated handle. I would like to give it a try but with a limited supply of the material at hand i wouldn't want to screw it up experimenting with it.

Last edited by jdale; 07-31-2012 at 04:29 AM.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:08 AM
Master

Laminated how so? Birch bark is inexpensive. You can buy it on eBay. I don't know about laminating but stacking it just like leather with a little epoxy inn between each stack makes a very durable handle. It's waterproof and can be hardened to some extent if you soak some oil or wax in it, but you sacrifice some of the grip if you do so. Plain bark handles have great grips if you don't add oil, otherwise it feels similar to leather which is still nice.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:45 AM
Skilled

Ive seen the stscked handles before, i was wondering if anyone has tried making somthing like the dymond wood usa knifemaker sells. I would think laminating it like denim micarta would work, i just dont want to waste my limited supply if someone has already tried it and didnt like the outcome.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:44 PM
Master

It would be much more headache than it's worth. Pieces glued together would only be as strong as the weakest bond which in your case would be the bond between the outer papery bark and the inner bark, which is very weak. It would quickly fail there. With that said your might have success if you completely peel the white bark off each individual piece. I wouldn't recommend trying it without some serious experimenting first.
Old 07-31-2012, 01:47 PM
Skilled

So a stacked handle it is
Old 07-31-2012, 07:20 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdale View Post
So a stacked handle it is
use medium CA to laminate and clamp then after you have it to the size you need stabilize it!
Jon
Old 07-31-2012, 09:29 PM
Master

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think birch bark needs stabilizing unless you want the surface harder so it doesn't dent.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:45 PM
Master

Stabilizing will prevent the bark from peeling away from itself if it's laminated.
Old 07-31-2012, 09:57 PM
Master

Oh I thought we were talking about stacking. Wouldn't stabilizing change the grip to feel like plastic? In my opinion the way bark feels is kids main benefit.
Old 08-01-2012, 08:37 AM
Master

Stabilizing would change the feel but if it's laminated it would make it a lot stronger I'm sure. I love the stacked look myself and the grip is great too.

Tags
handle, hunting, knife, knife handle, knifemaker, leather, made, make, making, material, micarta, plastic, stabilizing, supply, wax, wood, woods