MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 02-21-2003, 06:49 PM

Three new ones

These are 3 new ones for a Busse Police Recruit and a Swamp Rat Bandicoot. All 3 are left side carry for cross-draw, including the small horizontal snap-on for the PR. Fun project, on the way to the customer tomorrow
MtMike

Last edited by MtMike; 02-23-2003 at 08:33 AM.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:11 PM

Location: Blairsville--in the beautiful Appalachian mountains of North Georgia.
Mike, my friend---If your customer is not pleased with those sheaths, it will be because he just dropped dead! The molding is eye popping and construction is tight and clean. Sandy

Old 02-22-2003, 10:47 PM

Sandy - thank you Sir, both for your compliments and for your inspiration. To paraphrase Jack Nicholson in a recent fu-fu movie "you make me want to be a better sheathmaker"

I had to change phot-hosting sites (again!) as they keep changing the rules or going out of business. so if someof you got the dreaded "red X" the past coupleof looks, scroll back up. Hope this one stays with us for a while
MtMike

Old 02-22-2003, 11:43 PM
Super Moderator

Mike if the bloody thing keeps disappearing (which it has as of 10:45 MT Saturday 2/22) email it to me and I'll host it or as an alternative Jamey Saunders is offering a free hosting service for CKD members. Check it out in the Computer Forum or contact him.

Chuck

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:37 AM

Chuck -- thanks for the offer, but being a stubborn cuss I'll try something novel - - I'll subscribe to a site for a while and see if that works. Fototime gives a 30 day free trial, and if that seems reliable I'll buy their service. Hate to be a pain to either you or Jamie, but thanks again for the offer
Meantime the pic should be back up
Mike

Old 02-23-2003, 08:43 AM
Super Moderator

Here is another option that I used when I first started with a website. www.freeservers.com

They offer a free website of 12MB with a file manager that makes it real easy to upload files with. They also have a sitebuilder program so you can build a homepage, etc.
You can step up to a no banner site for only $5.99 a month if you want.

Check them out it might be worth a try.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

OOPS! I forgot to say anyhting about your sheaths. Very nice amigo. I like that blunt end tip look you've been working with - real practical.

I know you don't mind some constructive advice so here goes - Notice just a little bobble at the tip in your stitching. The fix for that is start your stitch marker from the bottom and go up. If you leave the leather a little long at the top during your pattern setup you can adjust so your stitches come out exact.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 02-23-2003, 12:14 PM

Thanks again Chuck, I'll check out freeserver to see what they offer -- maybe fototime will do for the time being at least.
Had to ponder the meaning of "bobble" there for a minute, but I see what you mean. It's not very pronounced, but where I overstitched at the bottom the effect does get magnified.
Kind of like those Persian rug makers who always leave one knot untied -- naaah, too early on a Sunday morn for that kind of thinking !
Mike

Old 02-23-2003, 12:19 PM
Super Moderator

Hey I use a similar exc... uummmh uhh reasoning. I tell folks that I do like the Navajos do in their weaving; I always leave/make one small mistake in order to let the evil spirits out or because the great spirit is the only one who can make something perfect.

Always sounded good to me

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Old 02-23-2003, 12:57 PM

....or "if there were no imperfections, how would you be able to tell it wasn't machine made???"

(possible new thread subject --"Best Excuses You Ever Made" How about -- "hey, it's leather, not kydex -- gotta expect some irregularities !!")
Mike

Last edited by MtMike; 02-23-2003 at 01:00 PM.
Old 02-23-2003, 09:15 PM
Guru

Just saw the pics Mike.Nice job, great molding.I also like the color.I still not quite sure if I like the blunt ends but I can see the reason for them on user knives.You may swing me over to try one or two.

LOL on your "excuse " thread suggestion.
Regards, Dave
Old 02-23-2003, 09:39 PM

Dave -- thank you, and now a brief word on the blunted tips. Randy (Schwert) asked for a blunted tip on his Dozier Slim Personal, as he thought it wouln't be prone to catching on light outerwear in an office environment. So I made it blunted. And I found that for a canted carry it really looks pretty good. Then I remembered seeing some old hunting style sheaths made this way, and also remembered seeing a lot of older sheaths with mangled, bent over tips. Granted the bent tipped sheaths may have been the militaryissue type which often had no welt, nevertheless the blunt tip seems to have a practical application as you said. Did you ever notice that the tip of an elephant's trunk never seems to wear out? Huh, did ya ""
Do I think a rounded tip looks better overall? Sure, but hey, gotta have some fun too

Excuse of the evening: "..well I was watching the Grammies and I kinda upchucked all over your new python inlay, and it was the last piece of snake I had, and I can't get any more 'til Survivors Bolivia is over, so it''ll be another couple of weeks"
Mike

Old 02-24-2003, 02:00 PM
Steel Addict

DC,

I highly recommend the blunt tip design.

I have found the squared tip on my sheath to be just about perfect for carry. If you all remember my Dozier is in a cross-draw sheath with about a 35-40 degree tip down angle. I always wear a wool vest to cover and neither the vest or my chair catch this blunted sheath.

I find it both practical and eye pleasing.

Mike, I like the Horizontal for the PR.....My Moulton like this maybe in a rich deep chocolate brown to nearly melt into my belt.....That trapazoidal end is just singing a tune of perfection. But, make sure you give me a stitch bobble, I don't want any evil spirts trapped!
Old 02-24-2003, 02:19 PM

Randy -- I'll show you a stitch bobble :evil

BTW -- I've noticed that Chuck uses "bobble" when he either can't remember the word, or is merely trying to be a true mountain gentleman. Kind of like you'd never hear a heart surgeon say "OOPS " heheheh
Mike

Old 02-24-2003, 02:50 PM
Steel Addict

Note: Our Mountain Gentleman is currently kicking major butt in the Photo Contest....Geeze I was forced to vote for myself to avoid complete dissapointment even though his image is clearly the best. Why could he not have bobbled at least his photo? Perfect sheath work, great and Interesting sheath design, perfect still life art....Where is the defect that allows the Demon to escape? Me thinks that Chuck's evil spirt theory is being tested?

Tags
blade, knife, knives