MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 02-16-2017, 06:03 PM
Enthusiast

Dozier knives

this kind of caught my attention, I was looking through Blade magazine and came across this ad for Dozier knives, what really caught my eye was at first glance I thought it was a Randall knife, The engraving on the blade looks just like the Randall engraving

Dozier Made
Springdale AR with the ( ) on each side

So I was wondering if maybe someone at Dozier once had something to do with Randall??
I know I am way out there but that's the way my mind works sometime lol

Carl
Old 02-16-2017, 08:07 PM
Skilled

Hi Carl.
Here is a short bio on Bob Dozier.

http://www.dozierknives.com/index.ph...d=1&Itemid=102
Old 02-16-2017, 08:34 PM
Guru

A true old timer and I'm in my 60s.
Old 02-16-2017, 08:59 PM
Enthusiast

thanks for the link Sam, not sure if he had anything to do with Randall but the logo on the knife in his add looks just like the Randall engraving, if you just glanced at it you would say Randall

Thanks again, Carl
Old 02-16-2017, 09:55 PM
Skilled

I'm not too familiar with Dozier knives, he may have borrowed aspects of Randall's stamp, just as Bo Randall borrowed from his first influence William Scagel.
Here was Scagels stamp. Notice the scimitar familiar to Randalls

Here are some of Scagel knives that Bo Randall collected

And here are some of Bo Randall's early knives in the Randall museum, very similar to Scagels.

Old 02-16-2017, 10:06 PM
Guru

Nice set of pictures Samg.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:24 AM
Guru

Funny thing.

Looking at some of those old knives I could make better knives, but I wasn't there in the beginning to do as those old masters did. I cannot for the life of me remember the name of MR. D2, but his processes taught me how to do D2 steel. From some other old timers I learned O1 and cryo. I remember a story about leaving some 51200 out in a -20 shop that the maker said made his knives better. I think it was Goddard, but am not sure. Back in the 90s.
Old 02-18-2017, 10:44 AM
Steel Addict

Jimmontg, you're prolly thinkin' of Ed Fowler who did a lot of experimentation with 52100 and 5160. He and Wayne Goddard shared a lot of information with fledgling makes back then.

www.BirdogForge.com
Old 02-18-2017, 07:14 PM
Guru

Ed Fowler! Of course! Back in the early 90s these guys taught me so much. I studied metallurgy as well once I had to do HT for no other reason than I was a master TIG welder (micro and macro) and studied metallurgy for that purpose. I kid you not. They made me the HT guy with my minor experience doing knives. They paid me by the hour to study so, alright by me lol.

Was Blade magazine around then? I remember reading mags then and there were a few. 1991 onward I had The Knife Shop back then and they sold supplies for knives in OKC and Jantz was another supplier about a hundred miles away, but on the way to Lake Murray OK, best smallie lake in the state, caught an 8 lb. smallmouth there.

The knife Shop was so helpful and then I found Hinderliter HT in OKC. I cannot even express how much help they were right on into 2008. My company sent them parts we could not do because our oven was only 24" deep (they had 4' ovens, vacuum). They advised me for smaller parts so I wouldn't get fired.lol

Boyle was one and Mr. D2 in Illinois was another. I remember the first so-called stainless Damascus was developed back then. I had a divorce and other things happen so I did not keep up with all that happened, still have some blades from then and some files, Nicholson. I even have some spheroidized O1 partially ground blades from then. They are kind of messed up, but may be fixable. Second set of pig hunting knives, I made one after, 3 knives. Oklahoma they hunted wild boar with knives. A good set would bring $150. Old memories, wished I could remember more.

Tags
2017, 5160, 52100, back, beginning, blade, cryo, damascus, engraving, files, how to, hunting, knife, knives, made, make, old knives, randall, scagel, shop, steel, supplies