MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 03-11-2016, 06:25 PM

Combat Companion or something else?

I just acquired what is purported to be a Combat Companion with a 7 3/8" blade. Won't have actual possession for about another week. I have a new Combat Companion with a 5" blade and that is all I have ever seen on the website. If this new (to me) knife is a CC, does anyone know when did they stopped making this longer blade? I am rather new to Randall knives, so I don't know much history. However I have had a Randall since the early 80s when I got my Border Patrol commemorative. Thanks in advance for any information that might be forthcoming.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Randall CC.jpg (85.0 KB, 35 views)

Old 03-11-2016, 06:37 PM
Skilled

I believe what you actually have there is a Model 14-7.5" with a sawteeth/no sawteeth blade grind and a single finger grip handle.

http://www.nordicknives.com/RandallG...id=R14&focus=7

Last edited by Ta2bill; 03-12-2016 at 05:33 AM.
Old 03-11-2016, 09:08 PM
Skilled

I was going to say same, 14 blade saw teeth no teeth. But the rest of the knife is combat companion not 14. I'm not very familiar with the CC but this is pretty cool. Didn't know they made this. More to come, thanks for posting this question.
Old 03-12-2016, 10:43 AM

So, how come one model number (14) has two different blade shapes? On the website a Model 14 shows a clip blade. This one has a spear. It's more like the 18 blade without the saw teeth.

Old 03-12-2016, 11:06 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Chisme View Post
So, how come one model number (14) has two different blade shapes? On the website a Model 14 shows a clip blade. This one has a spear. It's more like the 18 blade without the saw teeth.
Since you can get sawteeth on the 14 it makes sense that you can get the saw teeth/no saw teeth grind on the 14 blade hence the change in appearance from the clip point.
There are a 'lot' of featurs that can be ordered on Randalls that aren't obvious by their catalog.
There is a website or atleast there was by Ken Lunde that answered a lot of the questions a newbie might ask. I tried the website and it said the service wasn't available.
I'll keep looking - maybe Ken took it down?
There is a 'sticky' at the top of this forum but it isn't currently working.

Last edited by 505Gibbs; 03-12-2016 at 11:15 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 12:19 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senor Chisme View Post
I'm pretty positive the knife is a model 14 with the teeth/no teeth blade. Don't know much about the "combat companion" designation as I pretty much stick to the 1950s-early 1970s. However, several of these model 14s are pictured in Sheldon's book with these exact options. Other pictures exist many places.

This is a little elementary, so excuse if it its too basic. Take a look at the "vintage model 14" line and note the difference in the grind of the standard model from the shape of the teethed model. They are quite different and always have been back to early Solingen days...1963 or so. Lots of left over Solingen blades designed for teeth were later handled sold in the '80s and '90s without teeth. People liked the "no teeth" blade shape.

The 18 blade was originally an adapted 14 or 15 blade as was the model 17.

The picture below is a 1968 Model 14 with teeth, Orlando blade. Note the blade grind.

The picture below is a 1968 Model 14 without teeth, Orlando blade. Note the blade grind.

This is a Solingen 5" blade original intended to have teeth cut and then be used to make either an Airman's teethed model 15 or a model 17 or 18. The teeth were never cut, hence "Teeth/no teeth" grind.

Last edited by Jacknola; 03-14-2016 at 12:04 AM.
Old 03-12-2016, 05:17 PM

"i'm so confused"

Not really, it's beginning to make some sense now. So I will just enjoy my Model 14 teeth/no teeth and not worry about what it's called. I plan on carrying it on my ATV trips so I need to get a "using" sheath and put away the factory one. I think I have a Johnson sheath from a Ralph Bone knife that will fit it. I'll know better when the knife comes in. Thanks for all the insight.

Old 03-12-2016, 05:54 PM
Skilled

I would rather have that Ralph Bone sheath and trade you something a little more appropriate for ATV riding!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 6.jpg (60.0 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (65.0 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 1 (2).jpg (82.8 KB, 6 views)
Old 03-12-2016, 10:04 PM

Actually, the nylon sheath is a bit bulky for my taste. I have a local leather guy who can make me anything I can dream up. However, I might be willing to part with the Johnson. It is actually for an 8" blade.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN4028.JPG (50.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4029.JPG (59.3 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4031.JPG (91.1 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN4032.JPG (70.2 KB, 6 views)

Old 03-12-2016, 10:34 PM
Steel Addict

Location: Northwest Mississippi just south of Memphis and close to God's Country...Ole Miss.
I'll take the Johnson sheath. How much do you want for it?
Ronnie
Old 03-13-2016, 09:02 AM
Skilled

Thanks Joseph!
Old 03-13-2016, 09:15 AM
Skilled

"I am Spartacus!!"

Tags
back, bee, beginning, blade, blade grind, blades, bone, clip point, grind, knife, knives, leather, made, make, making, nylon, ralph, randall, sheath, spear, trade, vintage