MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 01-23-2014, 05:49 AM

New to this.....I have been bit

Well I just wanted to get on here and get familiar. I have been bittin by the knife making bug. Here is part of why I started. My dad gave me a knife for cleaning deer when I was 16 (Im now 31)a Schrader golden spike and in 2009 I killed the biggest whitetail I ever had and was going to get it mounted. I capped out the deer and set my knife on the truck bumper.....yep drove to the taxidermist and never seen my knife again.

So fast forward I decided to get a kit knife and replace it and make the handle out of a deer shed I had found.
Then this year I lost another knife I used for field dressing, so I decided to make my own from scratch in hopes that with all the hard I won't loose it!!!!
Here is the kit and the other one I'm working on currently. Thanks for looking.

image_zps6e137419.jpeg

image_zps1de56539.jpeg

image_zps5470ac26.jpeg

[ATTACH]2014-01-22_15-57-27_261_zpsovmpqggh.jpeg[/ATTACH]
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 2014-01-11_16-46-02_387_zpsu3rrtfo6.jpeg (8.2 KB, 45 views)
Old 01-23-2014, 07:54 AM
Skilled

Welcome to the craft. That's a fine looking first knife!

I see you built a beveling jig. Good job.

Don't worry the bug only gets worse; and hanging out with us doesn't help with your newly acquired addiction. :-)

Dan
Old 01-23-2014, 01:31 PM
Steel Addict

It gets much worse! And like Dan said, we will only fuel your addiction, at least that's how it worked for me! Soon you'll be selling blood to fund this! (Okay, it's not that bad, but knife making is fun!!!)

Old 01-23-2014, 06:15 PM
Steel Addict

My advice is to walk away while you still can! Only kidding...............or am I?
Old 01-23-2014, 06:42 PM

I'm starting to think so, I am a bit obsessed with it already and I'm just getting started.

I am having a bit of trouble with filing my bevel, with the jig it is not as even as I thought it would be...by that I mean It seems like when I flip the knife and work the other side I don't get the lines to match up and follow the arch of the knife. Not sure that makes sense.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:51 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Drop,

Sure that makes sense, especially if the knife is laying flat on the bevel you already put on one side. That would change the angles of whatever gets done on the blank side. If you managed to avoid having your blade lay on the bevel then I would think the problem comes from the starting point on the grind not being situated exactly the same way when you flip the blade over.

All of which is the reason professionally built fixtures cost a lot of money. It is also one major reason why most of us don't bother with fixtures. You don't need them. You just need a good vise, good files, and some practice to develop the required skills. The benefit of doing things this way is that you will be able to make any blade you want any way you want it. You will never be limited by the flexibility (or lack of it) of your fixture ever again ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 01-23-2014, 07:35 PM

I'm starting to wonder about using the jig I like it but I also dont. Going to try a little free hand on it tomorrow and see how it goes.

Thanks for the replys
Old 01-24-2014, 06:23 AM

Your eyes are a very well calibrated machine that you can trust if you practice a good bit.
As Ray said, you have to be consistent with your set ups and eliminate as many variables as possible.
With you eyes, it's mainly about lighting and positioning. Make sure the light source is the same and same angle then make sure you stand and hold the same with working both sides. Your eyes will spot uneven issues faster and easier than getting out the calipers and gauges - just learn to trust them.
The rest is just practice...practice....practice.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 01-24-2014, 11:03 AM

I had the day off so went back at it. Took my time still used the jig and was able to get my bevel cut in close. Then I did some free hand to tweak it and get everything good, I'm happy with it so far. Hopefully I can get some sanding done on it too.

I think taking my time was the key.

Tags
advice, angle, bee, bevel, blade, cleaning, files, flat, getting started., grind, hand, handle, jig, kit, kit knife, knife, knife making, make, making, problem, scratch, vise, white