MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 11-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Guru

major problems with ddr3BL

I made a ddr3 bl for my brother and put the spring in it. About a week after he got it he called me up and said the safety failed and would not lock. Yesterday he brought it to me and I changed out all the internal parts with the same results. I then changed out the blade (serrated) with a standard blade and that fixed it. I then put his original parts back in with the standard blade and that to worked correctly. I have not compared the 2 blades side by side yet. My question is this, is there anything I can do to the blade to fix this?

Ed

But steel - cold steel is master of them all.
Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)
Old 11-24-2006, 04:38 PM
Guru

Ed,

If I remember the design correctly from when I played around with it, the safety blocks the button from being depressed, thus releasing the button lock. I am having trouble seeing how the blade can effect that.

--Carl

?? KN Auctions to help a member in need and score a GREAT deal! ??
Old 11-24-2006, 06:12 PM
Guru

I put a taller safety in and it does work correclty now but any damage to the safety will result in failures like this.

I did find out more to, it was abusive testing he was doing with the unit and there was pressure put on the button. Guess this means I will need to fabricate a stainless safety.

Ed

But steel - cold steel is master of them all.
Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)
Old 11-24-2006, 08:27 PM
Steel Addict

I have also found that alignment of the liners can be important. If the two grooves in the liner that the safety button slide in are not lined up correctly or if the liners are not perpindicular to each other, that the plastic safety has a tendancy to bind. Also check to make sure that the scales on your knife are not impairing the travel of the safety. I also find that the amount of tension placed on the pivot screw and the thickness of the pivot spacers can change the proper functioning of the safety, especially if you are using stand offs instead of a backspine. So, therefor, if one blade is slightly thinner than the other, it could change whether or not the two liners are exactly perpindicular to each other. Try just barely knocking the sharp edge off of the safety groove cut outs on each liner, with a diamond file or fine grit wet or dry paper, especially helpful for smooth operation if you do construct a stainless button. Plastic, stainless or aluminum, that seems to keep the button from hanging up, and will keep the plastic buttons from getting a groove worn into them.

Dave Bowers
www.battlementknives.com

Tags
blade, knife, knives