MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 04-30-2002, 09:01 PM
genechapman

Dust collection

Have used a large Sears shop vac for dust collection for my belt grinder and a gooseneck collector at the drill press for metal dusts from wirebrushing and buffing. Noisy, noisy noisy, just got a 1 HP small dust collector from harbor freight, 4" inlets and outlets, also a collector accessories kit, hose, shutoff gates and a number of collectors. Anyway got it hooked up to drill and grinder with shutoff gates, vented it outside through a hardware cloth screen so critters won't get into the shop. It has more suction than the shop vac (4" hose compared to 2" hose) System is nice and quiet compared to the shop vac, only the outside noise from the outlet is somewhat loud, more so than in the shop, I thinking of making a muffler system, rectangular box, inlets and baffles lined with proably 1-2" rigid insulation, am thinking the insulation would dampen the noise.

Anyone have any input on this, I live in a neighborhood and want to keep things as quiet as possible.
Old 05-01-2002, 05:08 AM
nifeman

Hey Gene, I think the rigid insulation would still resonate the sound. I believe you'd be better off with regular fiberglas insulation or better yet foam rubber (like a couch cushion). Hell, I don't know I just got up...Bud
Old 05-01-2002, 05:19 AM
prizzim

I agree with nifeman. Sometimes you can scrounge insulating foam, too, that will trap and deaden the sound without transmitting it to other resonating surfaces. Glad to see you improved your dust collection, though. Sounds like a major improvement in shop quality.
Old 05-01-2002, 07:05 AM
Dana Acker

I have a pretty good dust collection in my shop. I've got steel dust, wood dust, brass and copper dust, and just plain old dust. Sorry 'bout that, couldn't resist.
Old 05-01-2002, 07:35 AM
Sweany

I remeber seeing some dust collection rigs on the woodworking sites. Don't forget to let air into the enclosure to cool the motor.
Old 05-01-2002, 07:44 AM
genechapman

Thanks for the ideas, will try different materials, should be easy to change in a plywood box. Will start with just the box and baffles first then proceed with dampening materials.

Dana I have a nice collection of drill press chips behind the press. Clean them out once or twice a year just for grins.

Old 05-01-2002, 07:48 AM
ghostdog

I have always wanted a good dust collecting system but have never had the bucks. So I am like Dana.

Gene I think what you are planning will make a world of difference. Just redirecting the sound with the box will alleviate the neighbours. Hope you don't have to move

ghostdog
Old 05-01-2002, 09:09 AM
Raymond Richard

When I first saw this post I thought you were referring to my shop. Its been collecting dust for seven years now. When your floor is dirt/mub combination it just adds to it. Gene, Bob Warner will run a line from Texas to you shop and you won't hear a thing....Ray....

Old 05-01-2002, 02:47 PM
genechapman

Dust collector noise reduction, "on the cheap"

Made a baffle from a white plastic bucket with lid. Inside is a 1/2" X 10" round plywood disk with twenty one 1" holes, this slid about midway in the bucket, attached with screws. cut holes in lid and bottom for hose attachments and tried it out. It eliminated almost all the motor/fan whine that went through the hose to the outside air vent. Still some high pitch noise in the shop. Cut that way down by cutting hose slits in the box the collector came, put the box over the collector. There is about a floor gap, this with the slits should allow plenty of ventalation for the motor. Am a happy camper. Also cleaned up the chips around the drill press, dang maybe I will sweep the floor too.

Tags
forge