MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum

The Sheath/Holster Makers Forum This is the place to discuss all forms of sheath and holster making.

Old 01-07-2003, 04:47 PM

Mexican Loop, Leatherman style

....and here's the Mexican Loop sheath that Dwayne just finished for me. He can answer any technical questions better than I (it's still on the Pony Express from Tejas), but that's some nice gator I see there !! Little damascus bowie with sterling hardware, needed something special. Dwayne and I decided the Mexican Loop would be just right.
BTW, if anyone has any info on the maker, Jamie Hanson, I'd appreciate it. All I know is he's a South Dakota maker, very nice work.
MtMike

Old 01-07-2003, 09:10 PM
Guru

Mike ,you ol'salty dog,tell Dwayne he did good all over himself.Very sweet package.I guess this means I had better get back in the shop.Dave
Old 01-08-2003, 06:37 AM
Steel Addict

Beautful! Perfect for that knife.

Old 01-08-2003, 06:34 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to leatherbender Send a message via MSN to leatherbender Send a message via Yahoo to leatherbender
Talking Thanks!!

Y'all are too kind! This was a kind of a "look what happens when two leather minded people co operate!!"
Too bad I had to let that knife go, it was a neat little bowie. :cool: the damascus pattern is the kicker, absolutely beautiful.
Thanks for posting that Mike!

Old 01-08-2003, 07:21 PM
Super Moderator

Dang! I thought for sure I posted to this yesterday. Must have got lost in the ether.

Dwayne you done good! That crocagator hide looks plum right at home. Looks like one of them ole boys had him a sheath made up after a trip to Louisiana where he had him a tussle!

Couple of questions:
Is the gator hide sandwiched between to layers or is it the lining of the face?

Also looks like the back is all one piece, ie the belt loop isn't a spearate sewn on piece? The knife's bolster looks like it tapers down to the blade so no reason to sew the loop on separately?

Mike hope we get to see more pics ASAP.

Chuck

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 01-08-2003, 10:23 PM

I knew when I first saw this knife that it had a unique quality that I really liked. Don't know the maker,and don't know anything about the specifics of the blade steel or handle, other than that the hardware is sterling. But this little bowie just begged for a special sheath -- thanks Dwayne
Chuck, per your earlier suggestions I'll try to get some rear hemisphere pics as soon as Kit Carson arrives on his speedy steed. Maybe Friday?
Mike

Old 01-08-2003, 10:50 PM
Steel Addict

Send a message via AIM to leatherbender Send a message via MSN to leatherbender Send a message via Yahoo to leatherbender
Hi Chuck,
Thank you! Yea, the gator is sandwiched in there, the back of the skin was a little fuzzy, but I usually back up the skins anyhow so it was nothing.
I did think about the separate loop but it just didnt seem right for this one. There is a definite difference in the overall look of each style and the one piece just fit right. The leather dries so hard that no other support was needed.
There is no guard per se on this knife so there was no need, thankfully, for a retaining strap so the lines of the sheath could stay as clean as possible.
Love that Gator!!!!!! Hate the price! But love that Gator!! Awesome skin to work with...... as long as it is FLAT!!!! Right Mike? I had a little headache with an earlier project... heh heh :evil

Old 01-08-2003, 11:04 PM
Super Moderator

Mike looking forward to more pics. Real eager to see the knife.(BTW Kit Carson wasn't in the Pony Express that was Buffalo Bill - Kit died before then. If he shows up at your door I might worry a mite! :evil )

Dwayne-with that shape of bolster ther ewas no need to add the separate loop. I mainly do it because most modern knive's guards are so wide off the blade that you just about have to in order to make them fit. One nit I have to pick. The majority of old time Bowie's (mostly from Sheffield and mainly Wostenholms) I've worked with were no wider than 1/4" off the blade and lot's of times even less.

Durango, CO
chuck@wrtcleather.com
www.wrtcleather.com

Wild Rose Trading Co - Handcrafted Knife Sheaths

The beautiful sheaths created for storing the knife elevate the knife one step higher. It celebrates the knife it houses.
Old 01-08-2003, 11:37 PM

Dwayne -- problem, what problem?? Just a solution waiting to happen Why try to bend 'gator when lizard loves to takes the curves?
Chuck -- yeh, you're partly right, the good folks down at Ft Carson like to bend that tale too, and they've got a great statue that they'll tell you is a cast after a famous delivery ride. HAR !! But in fact Kit did live in the era, died in '68 I'm told, several years after the the P.E. had its "run"
Now watch, one of the local FtCarsonites will deliiver the package in a Hummer !!
Mike

Old 01-11-2003, 11:14 PM

Chuck, per your request....

....here's the back of Dwayne's Mexican Loop bowie sheath, and the Jamie Hanson knife. This is going to be a sweet "dresser".
Mike

Tags
blade, knife