MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:40 AM
Skilled

latest knives first sheath

The Damascus is 1080 and 15n20 hopefully someday I will be able to make my own, but for now I will have to settle for buying it. the handle is Bocote with brass and stainless pins. and my first attempt at making a sheath
[IMG][/IMG]

This is the second blade from my saw blade steel, 1/4" pins with dyed epoxy to match the liner, the handle is Jatoba. The smudge on the blade is a fingerprint I didnt realise was there until after I out the camera away.

Old 03-13-2012, 09:04 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

They look pretty good but do they work? Have you done any extensive testing with them yet?

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-13-2012, 12:05 PM
Skilled

So far i have done a lot of slicing with the dimascus, cardboard, 14oz leather, and arm hair. I also tested the point by driving it into books and various old work manuals, most with the thick binder cover on them. The saw blade knife has been tested by driving the point into a 2x6 and chopping up a 2x4. The next time i get into the garage i am going to use the saw blade knife and a rubber mallet to chop through some piano wire.
Old 03-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Hall of Famer

Both the knives and the sheaths look good. Let me suggest on a pouch sheath, such as the one that you made, that you carry the tooling around to the back side of the sheath, even if it's just far enough to round the edge.

Doug

Old 03-13-2012, 01:44 PM
Skilled

Sigh why me..... The IT guy was in the office working on a few laptops in my area. He then asks if anyone have a knife he could use. I so happen to have my nice little damascus blade on me, and i carefully hand it to him. He then waddles back to his work area and i notice he isn't cutting with it...... Yep, he jammed it into a stuck screw. Before I could stop him and give him my set of precision screw####### he manages to put a chip in the very tip of the blade. Is this chip indicative of a bad heat treat or is it a clear cut case of wrong tool for the wrong job?
Still cant understand why he wouldnt just ask for a screwdriver.
Old 03-13-2012, 02:23 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

You're right, he could have asked for a screwdriver. This is a good reason why you don't give a good knife to someone you don't know. It's also why we test our HT methods very hard, often to destruction, with the first few blades until we're sure they can handle the idiot abuse of people we don't know. You'll know more when you test the edge by cutting some wire. I think you said piano wire but bailing wire, also known as black iron wire, is better. Piano wire can be pretty hard and much of it will be very thin, you want a larger diameter if you can get it, like bailing wire.

Cutting things, shaving, slicing etc tell us about edge holding but don't say much about durability. Stab that blade into a stump and twist it out sideways and, if the tip stays on the knife, it might be pretty tough ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 03-13-2012, 04:21 PM
Hall of Famer

I worked in health care for years and one thing that I learned is that sometimes there is no explanation for some of the dumb stuff people do. As far as the edge on your knife being too hard and brittle, you will have to consider that possibility but thing like that will also depend on edge geometry. Of course, we would have to see the kind of chip left too.

Doug

Old 03-24-2012, 07:05 PM
Master

I honestly dont think your heat treat was bad I have chipped almost every folder I have for work from doing the same things. The knives I carry at work are abused badly but there only for work related things. I have my nicer folders for cutting things that I will not touch to another piece of metal. So if a cheap fifty dollar crkt m21 will chip I dont think you have a problem. Most factory blades are a tad on the soft side. If you really want to test the edge for hardness I would do an edge deflection test on a piece of brass rod. Hold the blade on a bit of an angle perpendicular to the brass and drag it with a fair amount of force along the brass. If its to hard it will chip but if its just hard enough it will shave the brass.
Old 03-24-2012, 07:22 PM
Skilled

There are two types of knives, those that are pretty and those made to use. Testing will teach you to put them together. When you make a knife, try to imagine the worse thing one could do with it and build it to those expectations. I've got a pocket knife I carry, people can't believe I use it to cut open boxes and whittle on wood. I do it just to prove that I'm not afraid to use it. I did cringe when it fell of the work bench and in slow motion it hit tip first on the concrete floor leaving a divot. Didn't even need to touch up the blade.

Tags
blade, brass, crkt, damascus, damascus blade, edge, folder, folding knife, handle, heat treat, iron, knife, knives, leather, pins, pocket knife, sheath, sheaths, steel, teach