MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 04-22-2005, 07:38 AM
Registered

I just now popped my test piece into the dishwasher. It has 17 different adhesives, 3 of the pieces are remaining from the first testing round. I'll give it a few cycles this weekend and start beating them up.

Steve, 3 things:
It's interesting your wood disintegrated. I thought you used diamond wood? I'd have thought that would have held up better.
2nd, you said "I can say that using brake cleaner or Lectro-motive is as good as freshly sandblasted." I'm confused. Did you mean that the brake cleaner is as good as sandblasting or did you mean that you can clean a sandblasted surface to a freshly sandblasted status where there is little or no chance of it having been contaminated by anything?

I'll have to get on the load/sheet testing of that E-120HP. I liked the gun and dispensing system accuracy.
Old 04-22-2005, 10:37 AM
Skilled

Tracy,

Thanks for asking for clarification.

The diamond wood disintegrated under the not-so-gentle application of a framing hammer. In other words, I was beating the block of wood off to see if there was rust underneath and the wood busted up. But the E-120HP held on to a layer of wood. I couldn't see the steel.

2nd ... let me try and re-state that. Brake cleaner and Lectro-motive don't leave a residue - like simple green does. So if you want to use a chemical degreaser you can use those.

I don't have any test results that say that chemical wash is as good as sandblasting. A freshly abraded (sandblasted), is the best thing to do and a quick wipe with brake cleaner won't hurt. If you have a polished surface tang with finger prints, just sparying with brake cleaner will help, but isn't the best.

Does that make better sense, buddy?

Steve

Old 04-22-2005, 12:14 PM
Registered

yep, ya gotta talk real slow to me sometimes.
Old 04-23-2005, 07:46 PM
Registered

load/sheer tests today:

E-120HP held 75lbs for a few seconds and then failed.
U-05FL failed when loading to 75lbs so it held 50lbs
K&G epoxy failed at 50lbs

The Loctite E-120HP is second to winner, Loctite 324 Speedbonder. Locitite seems to know their stuff when it comes to commercial grade adhesives.

My large test piece with the 17 different adhesives has gone through the dishwasher 3 times and no failures that I can pull off by hand. I'm going to run it through a couple more times and start whacking it and then it's off to the furnace for a few cycles at 200F degrees.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:28 PM
Skilled

Tracy,

How far did 324 make it last time?

I think readership on this thread has dropped. However, I'm REALLY feeling good about these tests. I've learned soo much. Not just what adhesive is best, but also what to expect and how to apply.

I'm thinking of doing one more test: Just using 120HP and K&G, but a number of different materials. Just to see how much grip we get with things like brass, G10, ....

Then I need to stop. Probably should make a knife or something.

Steve

Old 04-24-2005, 12:20 AM
Registered

The 324 held 75lbs easily and then when loaded to 100lbs, it held for a few seconds, then failed.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:42 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS
I think readership on this thread has dropped. However, I'm REALLY feeling good about these tests. I've learned soo much. Not just what adhesive is best, but also what to expect and how to apply.
Hi Steve and Tracy,

I don't know about anyone else, but this is my favorite thread on the forums, and I keep checking to see what's new. Thank you both very much for your hard work and for sharing the results with all of us.

As it stands this thread is a great contribution. I think some sort of summary or "take home lessons" would be very useful for readers, especially new ones.

Thanks again to both of you!

Measure twice, cut once.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:54 PM
Registered

John, appreciate your comments. This has been an interesting and entertaining experiment. I know I've enjoyed it.

You can be assured we'll come up with some kind of conclusive remarks, recomendations and a spreadsheet showing some additional information. I'm guessing I have 2, maybe three weeks left of testing, (Steve is basically done but keeps adding more tests - I'm not sure we will ever be able to stop him), a week to confer with Steve and then we'll declare some winners....We already know there will be more than one depending on the situation.
Old 04-24-2005, 02:14 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to justice
i check this thred every time im on the boards!!
keep up the good work guys

.....justin
Old 04-26-2005, 07:45 AM
Skilled

I have said it before and will again. This is the best thread going and to all of us that use products, want the best, it is the ideal reading for us. Again, thanks for the work and the reporting. I just don't want it to end and that has to say something. Dave
Old 04-26-2005, 10:25 AM
Skilled

Thanks for the encouragement.

OK I feel another test coming on..... However, I'm with Tracy. We need to come to closure pretty soon. It'll be great to get the final results. They aren't stacking up like I thought they would, but that's why it's worth testing: the destruction of long held, biased beliefs.

Steve

Old 04-26-2005, 04:46 PM
Skilled

I think you two should take your act on the road. The subtle humor gets me daily.

Old 04-26-2005, 05:51 PM
Registered

After 3 or 4 dishwashings my wife and the Devcon 5 minute epoxy have had enough. The Devcon piece simply fell away after I pulled my test piece from the dishwashwer. I have not had a chance to whack the rest but I will tonight, I'm kinda pacing myself on that.

I hearbye (here by??)(who says here by anway?) declare Devcon 2 Ton and Devcon 5 minute epoxy to be an official loser in the glue wars and strongly advise anyone against ever, ever, ever using it for anything other than stuff you repair for your in-laws.

My wife has declared an end to dishwashing tests. She put up with it longer than I thought but research for the sake of science apparantly has its limits when it comes to our kitchen. Now I have to find another way to fail these things.

I see a turkey fryer boiling session coming on. I believe I can also multi-task some golf into this, pictures to follow...
Old 04-26-2005, 07:56 PM
Registered

3 more fail whack attack...

After Devcon 5 minute retired after a few bouts with the dishwasher, 3 more failed taps from the hammer. T-88, Liquid Nails Perfect Epoxy 3 and one of our hopefull miracle adhesives...Loctite 324 Speedbonder. I really was hoping the 324 stuff would carry it all the way as it seems to be fairly sexy stuff. It's not. It should not have failed so quickly after just a few times through the dishwasher. My crummy, cheap 2 for a dollar serrated steak knives have made hundreds of trips through the dishwasher. This 324 goop for $2 a squirt should have made it through at least 6 times.

Old 04-26-2005, 09:56 PM
Living Legend

Tracy, does there seem to be a trend on how the failures release? Meaning, does the epoxy stay on the metal and not on the wood or vice versa?

I cannot remember; would you remind me what the wood is and whethyer it was stabilized?

Thanks. Things keeep staying "interesting", meaning no clearly superior "winner".

Tags
a, apply, awesome, blade, epoxy, fixed blade, forge, glue, handle, hot, knife, knife making, knives, made, making, material, materials, mount, pins, post, project, tang, weld