MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Damascus Forum

The Damascus Forum The art and study of Damascus steel making.

Old 07-24-2004, 09:52 PM
Steel Addict

re: hydraulic press

Hi. Im new to the forum and would like to know if using a hydraulic press for pattern welding is a substitute for a hammer or if it is just for manipulating the pattern. I've just started hammering damascus and my tendonitis is wreaking havoc on my elbow and I could whip up a press in no time if this would give better control , better welds and less pain.Thanks for any & all comments. Paul Savage
Old 07-24-2004, 10:24 PM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to Ron Claiborne Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Claiborne
you better whip one up .
it will help all you mentioned but its not ( a must have) to build good Damascus but it is ( a must have ) to build great Damascus .
No im just kidding its like most tools it will make life easer but to say every one needs one would be misleading ; A press is not for every one some do great with the tools you mention but when the pain and the need for a better way is telling you need to do something different ,they are to me the ticket .
so no one misunderstands this is a cheep and underhanded way to talk presses what can I say im shameless
al kidding aside hope you find some thing to help with your pain I know what strained arms are have you looked to better hammers that are designed to help with this problem also get a brace that will keep the muscle from blowing up they help most of all also be sure that you worm up the arm before starting you have to remember your using muscles that you have not used before , go to a smaller hammer till you get past the pain if you push it will cause damage that you might not get past , .
what ever you do be sure to stop at the least pain and rest a few it could save your arm hope this helps
but im still shameless ant i ,sham ,sham,sham on me
o ya i almost forgot if the wife is reading this then i would say HECK YA YOU NEED ONE AND YOU NEED TO START IT TOMORROW YOUR ARM DEPENDS ON IT ,

Last edited by Ron Claiborne; 07-24-2004 at 10:34 PM.
Old 07-24-2004, 10:45 PM
Steel Addict

Thanks for the advice Ron. I'm back to work from holidays on monday so this will give me something to ease myself back in with. A little " ALL ABOUT ME" project.