MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 08-03-2023, 01:30 AM

Definitely understand not wanting to work in the heatwave. My shops been sitting around 115 during the day since I don't have air conditioning. Tried going out to do some work today and it was miserable, so I decided to take the kids to the river instead. I'm hoping it cools off enough for me to get back to work soon. I'm currently working on 4 Bowie knives, 2 small utility knives, and a few kitchen knives. Was hoping to also start a san mai billet the next couple days, but if the heat keeps up I'm going to hold off.
Old 08-03-2023, 03:14 AM
Master

Nice Carl!
Would like to see some of those cuts.

Old 08-03-2023, 05:30 AM

Here's what I have rough cut so far (bout half the raw material). It's hard to see the colors except where the wax is applied. I'll be rack them up to cure out for around 6 months to a year in my garage attic (lazy man curing). Check every month or so for weight reduction until it levels out. Then clean and true them up to handle dimensions on my table saw. That's when I can see what I really have. So....not much to look at as of yet.

Well got a "security token" problem so not able to post pics for the time being. Not sure what that's about. Just something else to work on (like I need that). I will be posting some pics on fB, if you go there.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 08-03-2023, 02:35 PM
Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longshot117 View Post
Definitely understand not wanting to work in the heatwave. My shops been sitting around 115 during the day since I don't have air conditioning. Tried going out to do some work today and it was miserable, so I decided to take the kids to the river instead. I'm hoping it cools off enough for me to get back to work soon. I'm currently working on 4 Bowie knives, 2 small utility knives, and a few kitchen knives. Was hoping to also start a san mai billet the next couple days, but if the heat keeps up I'm going to hold off.
That's HOT! Especially with a forge going.

I have various plans but stuck because I don't know which ones to do. Been enjoying the simplicity of fixed blades lately. There are several folders in mind plus a revision-style change on one pattern. Going through a lazy mode right now.

Old 08-03-2023, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&J View Post
That's HOT! Especially with a forge going.

I have various plans but stuck because I don't know which ones to do. Been enjoying the simplicity of fixed blades lately. There are several folders in mind plus a revision-style change on one pattern. Going through a lazy mode right now.
Yeah, I've been feeling kind of stuck recently as well. So I've been running around with the kids and checking out new fishing and swimming spots in the area. Definitely helps get the creative juices flowing again.
Old 08-05-2023, 02:57 PM
Master

Enjoy the time with the kids! Taking a break is good. Making knives is hard enough that getting burned out really hurts the motivation. Many aspects of life to enjoy and mix in for variety.

Yesterday did a bit and made a short video of some of the steps, some screen caps:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg folder-body-2 - _snapshot_00.05.030.jpg (174.4 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg folder-body-2 -_snapshot_01.05.900.jpg (135.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg folder-body-2 -_snapshot_01.58.227.jpg (164.8 KB, 2 views)

Old 08-15-2023, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&J View Post
Enjoy the time with the kids! Taking a break is good. Making knives is hard enough that getting burned out really hurts the motivation. Many aspects of life to enjoy and mix in for variety.

Yesterday did a bit and made a short video of some of the steps, some screen caps:
Definitely did enjoy my time with them, and was able to get back to work. So far I've gotten 2 Bowie knives done and ready for sheaths. Also a head knife for leatherwork. Spent some time with a local saddle maker to get some ideas about how I should design it. So far it is performing pretty well.

Tags
a, back, bee, blade, blade show, blades, chris, christmas, clean, fixed, gift, heat, heat treat, home, hot, hunting, hunting knives, knife, knives, make, making, post, sheaths, show, wave