MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 01-29-2002, 08:08 PM
nosborn

Tomahawk drifts no longer available from Centaur

Greetings all -

I've had an order for a hawk drift stalled at Centaur Forge - they just called me (nice lady, but annoying little dog in the background!) to say that their supplier can't get them anymore, and they don't have a replacement.

So, does anyone know where I can get a drift? If not, could someone provide an accurate description (even drawings... please!) so I could make one myself? I'm a beginner, and have made one knife (5160) but won't post it until I get the polishing steps figured out. I formed the eye for my brother's hawk over the point of the anvil, which worked... but it isn't pretty, not pretty enough to show off here.

You guys are a great crew, and I appreciate the friendliness with which you treat newcomers... I just think I want all my ducks in a row before I start making noise! Any info on the drift would be greatly appreciated. Thanks -

Nathan
Old 01-30-2002, 08:59 AM
Cactusforge

What I did is to forge a taper on a bar of steel that was oversize this bar is about 12" long then I bought 2 hawk handles 1 a mouse hawk and a std. hawk. I ground the forging
to fit the handles making the mouse portion below the std.
portion. Making a drawing of the hole showing diamentions helpes a lot. Make the end of the drift larger than the largest
end of the handle so it can be cleaned up after use as in time it will swell some. Hope this helps Gib
Old 01-30-2002, 10:18 AM
dmelton

drift

I have one, I'll take some pics of it and post them here tomorrow.

Tags
forge, knife