MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 05-22-2016, 06:48 PM
Guru

yeh i wasnt seriously thinking about the more expensive one but i thught if this guy made the right price i might take it....just to have it and see if i could make anything work...but i really dont plan on making damascus all that offten (alot work) so it would have to be really cheap wich we didnt talk about price so we will see....i have to turn around and go back to mass. tomorow to get more stuff from grandmothers house so maybe while i am up there ill look at it and see what can be done. all the door nobs in the house are really nice wood all of them look like a burl patteren (mystery wood tho) so since she sold the house i grabed 2 of them and put cheap door nobs in ii think i am going to snag the rest too : ) perfect size to cut to a handle to ...oh before i forget ray i know we talked a little about neoprene rubber being a ok solution for a no slip grip handle....have you used it? how does it work (drill , grind ect..) i am trying to find a grippy handle material for a knife i have been working on but in my head i envision putting it to the grinder to shape a lil and it just turning into a smeared sticky mess...but again i am probilly wrong i just cant see it grinding or even drilling anything like other materials
Old 05-22-2016, 09:01 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Neoprene works as a sticky handle BUT its tricky to work with. First, the only way I've found to attach it is by using good glue and 1/4" Micarta rods as pins (no peining obviously). You must use fresh sharp belts and grind at a slow speed. If you drill you must use a very sharp drill and drill oversize holes. For instance, to drill a 1/4" hole use an F drill. There will be black rubber dust clinging to every part of your body. A respirator is essential...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 05-23-2016, 06:19 PM
Guru

so my trip back to mass. got delayed till tomorow so i was playing around with different etch times and dilutions on that piece of damascus....its showing up but it doesnt have a lot of contrast to it its like one step up from a hologram where you can only see it at certain angles is there any way to get more contrast to it or is that just how the 1084 and 15n20 mix comes out....when i HT it it should be done just how i do my plain 1084 right? maybe normalize or anneal first?....
Old 05-23-2016, 07:14 PM

1084 and 15N20 probably provide about the highest contrast you can get. Fresh ferric chloride mixed one part FeCl to three or four parts distilled water will usually do the trick with several 15 - 30 second etches. Rinse in cold water between etches to see what you have, two or three etches is usually enough. The rest of it is having the metal well finished, lightly buffed, and then absolutely clean before you etch.

Treat the damascus as you would 1084, add the normalizing cycles. Since I have to cool the steel anyway I anneal it over night...

Old 05-24-2016, 07:04 AM
Guru

Ok maybe finishing it higher will help i only went to 600 also i didnt buff it i thought i remember reading somwhere that buffing it will leave the pattern blurry...either way it will have to wait a few days on my way out to massachusettes in a few mins
Old 05-24-2016, 08:49 AM

Buffing will leave the pattern blurry, That's why I said lightly buffed. Buff just enough to put a little shine on the 15N20 and that will improve the contrast which is what you were asking about. The 600 grit should be enough, I rarely go beyond 400 grit myself.

A proper HT will be important to a good etch. Fresh etchant is important. A clean finish is important - the last belt you use needs to be sharp. After those bases are covered the steel itself is what's left. If you don't get the results you like try adjusting the mix of steel in your billet (next time) or try some 1080 instead of 1084...

Tags
1084, acid, bee, beginning, billet, blade, carbon, damascus, edge, etched, etching, folding knife, forge, forging, heat, heat treat, knife, knives, make, material, pocket knife, sand, steel, weld, welding