MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-13-2013, 07:34 AM

Heat treat a show piece?

This is probably more of a newbie question than a heat treat question, but as the title says. If you are making a knife that will strictly be for looks and will not actually be used is it necessary to quench and temper or can it be left in the annealed state? I use all of MY knives, but if someone wanted one because they liked the looks and for sentiment (family member) would there be any issues leaving it as is without the heat treatment? Fire away, I'm new and have thick skin

Shane
Old 02-13-2013, 07:52 AM
Master

In my opinion, in that case you couldn't in good conscience call it a knife. You'd be selling them a letter opener.

You do not know what the future will bring perhaps whoever inherits the knife will choose to use it, or even the original recipient sometime down the road.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:06 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
You ask a valid question, and I'll respond through an example..... I once knew a gentleman who was a VERY well known and respected knifemaker. His work was much sought after, and he was considered one of the "elite" custom knifemakers. He made mainly Bowies via stock removal. He became so popular that he went to making strictly "art Bowies", and decided that they didn't have to be heat treated, because they would never be used. This was way back when the internet was just getting cranked up and going. He had sold a knife to a collector (one that was not heat treated). Shortly there after the collector passed away, and another individual purchased the knife at auction. That person attempted to use the knife, and the edge literally folded. He got on the internet and posted pics and complained on every site he could. It didn't matter that the knife was "a collector piece"....and although the maker tried to defend himself and the fact that the knife was not heat treated for a reason, it wrecked the individual's reputation, and he went from being one of the most sought after makers, to quitting knifemaking within 6 months.
I had thought about the same thing (not heat treating "art" knives) but I always remember what happened to that individual..... you never know where a knife you create might end up, and never know what might happen......so make each an every knife to the utmost of your ability, and you'll never had to regret it.
As a matter of fact, I'm waiting on a package to arrive from a gentleman who purchased an "art Bowie" from me at the Blade Show back in 2005. His 5 year old grandson got hold of it, and decided he was going to "trim" bushes with it....from what the gentleman told me, the knife did great until the kid decided to start chopping on a barbed wire fence! Now it's on the way back to be, to see IF I can repair it. Although that knife was a "art" knife, I created the blade as if it would be used.....and am glad I did....the client made mention with a chuckle that he was surprised how well the edge held up on the barbed wire! We'll see what I can do when the knife arrives.

Bottom Line: Create each and every knife that leaves your shop, as if someone where going to trust their life to it.....and you'll never have to deal with regret.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Last edited by Ed Caffrey; 02-13-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-13-2013, 08:16 AM

Thanks Ed. I never really thought about that aspect of it. I'll be making a knife for my father and I know he'll never use it, but stranger things have happened. And Eli, I actually did make a letter opener for my wife, and it was heat treated. Really more of a ladies dagger, pointy as heck and will shave your arm.

Thanks guys, I have my answer.

Shane
Old 02-13-2013, 10:31 PM
Skilled

My thinking is, 200 years from now after the apocalypse someone may desperately need a good knife, and I don't want mine to fail them, regardless of how pretty it is...

I like art knives, but I still expect to be able to skin a deer with it, if need be.

A good friend told me one time about forging "What is there not to like, you get to break all the rules you were told as a kid, don't play with that it is sharp, don't play with fire, and don't beat on that"
Wade Holloway

See some of my work.
Old 02-16-2013, 10:21 PM
Skilled

I'm hardly worried about what someone may want to do with my knives in 200 years, but when I make a knife - art or otherwise, I make a knife and not a knife-like object. My daggers and scalpels are properly heat treated although I hope no one will ever have "need" to use them as such. Heat treatment is a part of making a knife whether it's used or not. JMO.
Chris

Two Mountains Forge
Delta, BC, Canada
www.twomountainsforge.com
Old 02-16-2013, 10:34 PM
Master

Another thing to think about is a heat treated knife is harder to scratch. It might help when it comes to those pesky little scratches from handling the blade. Just my 2cents.

Old 03-15-2013, 07:42 PM
Enthusiast

Build it like your own life might have to depend on it if it were your only tool.
Old 03-16-2013, 06:50 AM

Make them to use, dress them to suit the customer.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
art, back, blade, build, build it, choose, collector, custom, edge, fire, heat treat, knife, knifemaker, knifemaking, knives, made, make, making, newbie, package, repair, scratch, stock removal, temper