MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Damascus Forum

The Damascus Forum The art and study of Damascus steel making.

Old 02-08-2021, 05:51 AM
Registered

Damascus Steel

Hi There,
I am a newbie to this community and found this website through a Google search. I joined this group to share knowledge with people and gain more insights about Damascus steel .

I want to tell you that I have little information about Damascus steel blades or knife and want to know more about it. If someone has a query, please take it further so we can discuss and gain more information about it.

Thanks!!!
Old 04-22-2021, 11:41 AM
Registered

Hello, I am also new. Welcome me
Old 04-23-2021, 12:01 AM
Guru

Well welcome to the site Lady and gentlemen. I have not made very much Damascus, but it turned out all right when I did. Made it from the standard 15N20 and 1080 steel. I used a Natural Gas forge and a 50 lb. Little Giant trip hammer. Like I said, it turned out OK, but not great. I didn't get the pattern I wanted and can't really sell it for very much as it looks like good quality Made in Pakistan for $5 knives. So I'll sell my Alabama Forge Damascus which you can immediately tell is much much better.
Old 04-23-2021, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Welcome to KN folks! I've been here since the forums beginnings. I have extensive experience with Damascus. Ask away, and I'd be happy to answer.

You can find my personal forum here: http://www.knifenetwork.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10

You can find a lot of info on my website:http://www.caffreyknives.net/

and lots of Damascus pics/knives that I've produced here: https://ibb.co/album/w0PcdN?sort=dat...N&seek=SsCPP7x

If you're far enough along that you're interested in Bladesmithing classes.... I can help there too..... http://www.caffreyknives.net/classes.html

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Last edited by Ed Caffrey; 04-23-2021 at 10:57 AM.
Old 11-19-2021, 11:16 AM

As we all here to learn things we don't know or gain knowledge that we don't have and helping each other.
I hope this will help you in knowing damascus steel better
Old 11-20-2021, 10:40 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmark View Post
As we all here to learn things we don't know or gain knowledge that we don't have and helping each other.
Wow, that was a lot of marketing BS, with just enough valid information sprinkled in have me read the whole thing.

However the conclusions that damascus/pattern welded steel is better than other modern steels is just plain wrong.

If you're truly interested in learning about damascus/pattern welded steel, you need to talk to makers (like Ed, who has generously volunteered his expertise over the years) who actually work with this medium, and not rely on marketing websites who's focus is on selling to folks, not on educating them.
Old 11-20-2021, 03:25 PM

I love Damascus. Been making it for about five years. Trust Ed Caffrey, Kevin Cashen, any ABS master Smith as they've demonstrated the ability to forge damascus. There are many persons extremely knowledgeable you'll just have to search them out.. A side point you'll know if the persons a person's well known damascus maker because their knife prices will reflect their quality. And their web site is has quality pictures and details. 150$ dollars for a Damascus bowie with no makers mark of name is usually an indication of the lack of quality.
Old 06-23-2022, 07:25 AM
Registered

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmark View Post
Damascus steel is often overrated, it is not good enough even new stainless steel knives are better than this thing. This is just overhyped by the sellers
Old 06-23-2022, 07:48 AM
Enthusiast

Have we received a SPAM attack around here or just been hacked by the Russians again?
Old 06-23-2022, 03:14 PM
Master

I check by daily and have reported a few spam messages. Maybe just other stuffs going on. I'm working on a kitchen knife and a utility piece.

How about for you?

Old 06-24-2022, 03:50 AM
Hall of Famer

I remember wanting to get right into making damascus/pattern welded steel when I first started out. My best advice is to put it off until you are making mono steel blades. As far as damascus being superior to mono steel, it isn't and it can't ever be due to the fact that the bonds between the iron molecules in the layers of steel will not be absolutely complete.

Doug

Old 06-24-2022, 10:32 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&J View Post
I check by daily and have reported a few spam messages. Maybe just other stuffs going on. I'm working on a kitchen knife and a utility piece.

How about for you?
Working on a competition chopper/fish cleaner and a Katana. Its in the 100's here so work is slow.
Old 11-29-2022, 01:34 PM
Registered

15n20 core

Hi I have a question about making a three-part Damascus and haven't made anything like this before
I'm trying to use 15n20 is the core , 80crv2 as the first layer and 1095 as the spine layer will the 80crv2 forge weld with the other steel to make a tri-color blade?

Tags
15n20, bee, blade, blades, bowie, ca, damascus, damascus blade, damascus knife, damascus steel, forge, gas forge, hammer, helping, knife, knives, little giant, made, newbie, pattern, sell, spam, steel, trip hammer