MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 12-30-2003, 12:14 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to YAMAMA
I would guess it would depend on what you intend to put in it. If you are going to do knives it is probably overkill. Mine is 8X8X18" and will be lined which will reduce the inner dimentions to about 6x4.5x16". Also remember that the larger the box the more it is going to take to heat the space. Personally, I wanted to follow a proven design to eliminate a lot of the pains/expense of trial and error.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:26 PM
Skilled

Send a message via ICQ to sjaqua
Peldor,

12" Square section with 2" of Kaowool all around will make an 8x8 forge chamber. Or if you want a rigid floor 1" of kaowool and then 2" tall fire bricks will give you a 7" hight. So the question is, is that large enough for the work you plan on doing? My forge chamber is 7" wide and 3.5" high and 9" long. So that looks plenty big enough to me.

Yamama,

I use flares on my burners and the burn the same inside or out of my forge. The flame looks something like this in shop lighting.

For the regulator I use a Goss Propane regulator from the welding supply store. It's fully adjustable from 1 to 50 PSI. I forge around 8 PSI and weld around 14 PSI

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The most important right of all, is that of Free Speech. With out that, all your other rights will soon be taken away. So, I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend until death, your right to say it!
Old 12-30-2003, 02:44 PM
Steel Addict

Ok I'm going with the 10"X10" square tubing 18? long with sidewalls 3/8? thick (would have liked a little thinner but beggars can?t be choosers) and I am getting the rest of the stuff to finish it up tomorrow, CAD drawings on the way later today if anyone wants some (I could even do some different views for people who don?t have the software)

Also how big is your avrage fire brick? The kind you put in your forge for a stand?
Old 12-30-2003, 03:32 PM
Skilled

Fire Brick

The fire brick in the burner photo above are each 2" high, 4.5" wide and 9" long.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The most important right of all, is that of Free Speech. With out that, all your other rights will soon be taken away. So, I may disagree with what you say, but I will defend until death, your right to say it!
Old 12-30-2003, 03:58 PM
Skilled

Send a message via Yahoo to YAMAMA
sjaqua,
I noticed you are located in Stanton. I live near Ranch Santa Margarita which is not too far from you. Do you know of a local supplier of refractory supplies? Firebrick, satanite, Inswool.. ?
Jerid
Old 12-30-2003, 04:44 PM
Skilled

Refractory Supplies

No, I don't have a local supplier. I got mine on-line from http://www.clayartcenter.com/

Old 12-30-2003, 06:04 PM
Living Legend

You guys really need to get into your local blacksmith association. My local assocciation tries to figure out what people need and then they buy it in bulk and sometimes they get it donated to them. Then the members can get it either cheap or free. They always know where to get kaowool, castable refractory, coal, satanite, rigidizer, ITC100, etc.... If there is nothing set up, they usually have someone selling firebricks, tongs or other items at decent prices.

The local assocation for me is the North Texas Blacksmiths Assocation (part of ABANNA) and they have had meetings where everyone makes a forge or everyone builds a treadle hammer. Sometimes the day cost money and some days it does not depending on the donations.

They also bring in big name blacksmiths to put on demo's. There is a meeting every month at someone's shop and the host usually does a demo on how to make something.

All of this is only $15 per year for voting membership.

Well worth it even if you only go once or twice a year.

Tumbling down the road at 35 MPH is no fun, TRUST ME!
Old 01-03-2004, 05:31 PM
Skilled

Tru Value Hardware

I went by my local Tru Value Hardware and the only thing we could find in Tan was a caulk tube of Imperial Stove and Fireplace Mortar, High Temperature Silicate Cement, withstands Up to 3000 degrees Farenheight, Use as a cement or sealant for woodstoves, firebrick, mortar joints gasketing.

I think this is the same stuff you were talking about only in the caulk type tube, it was $3. I will try when i do my next forge. they did have it in the pail only it was black (said so on the pail, the tan also says it on the caulk tub).
Old 01-04-2004, 01:00 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Terry
Sorry to take so long to respond, I have looked around the shop, and cannot find the empty tub. But as long as it is a water base putty, it should be fine. Color isnt a thing, just that mine was tan, try some black, may be the same thing, just a diffrent binder.

Good luck!

God Bless

Mike

Tags
forge, forging, knives