MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 10-28-2006, 02:08 PM
Steel Addict

I am back to this thread (again) for reference. Someone mentioned Sumo Glue earlier & I thought I would share my experience.

I have been using it for several months as I like the fact that it doesn't foam up as much as Gorilla glue does.

While my test wasn't scientific here is what happened.

I was making a boning knife for my wife. She picked the blank form Jantz's catalog & said, "I want that one." I showed her some choices of handle wood and to my surprise she picked some colored layered Dyamondwood. To make a long story somewhat shorter.........I botched the handles........after I had them glued on & the glue had had several days to cure. I tried to remove them by driving a wood chisel between the blade & the Dyamondwood. The Dyamondwood promptly split at about 2-3 layers up from the tang leaving a layer of wood about 1/4" thick firmly glued to the tang. Not thick enough to get under with the chisel and try to pry off. I ended up sanding the rest of the wood & Sumo glue off the tang with a belt sander.

BTW, the only prep on the tang was roughing it up with my belt sander and 50 grit. No cleaner of any sort.

I guess the moral is, don't screw up with Sumo Glue. Do it right the first time and it will hold.

Dale

Last edited by orvet; 10-13-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-28-2006, 03:55 PM
Guru

try adding 350F heat for not long at all, most glue will come right off in no time.

Ed

But steel - cold steel is master of them all.
Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)
Old 10-21-2007, 04:59 PM

I saw another 'adhesive' discussion kicking off, so I thought I'd shock the monster.

IT'S ALIVE!

www.kansasknives.org

"Drawing your knife from its sheath and using it in the presence of others should be an event complete with oos, ahhs, and questions."
Old 10-22-2007, 10:54 AM
Skilled

Have to catch up on this thread but I now use Loctite 330 Depend, used by many maker friends of mine. Never saw it tested before but Loctite is always a champ as far as I am concerned. Watching....
Old 10-25-2007, 05:52 PM
Skilled

I am not sure of how this one is going but saw it, commented once and still know there is a real need to talk adhesive. Keep it going, guys!
Old 10-27-2007, 10:09 PM
Registered

This has been a most useful thread. Thank you so much for your research and advice.

Old 01-07-2008, 07:12 PM
Steel Addict

Recently I have been doing more work with stag & bone. I have been having some problems with polyurethane glue (Sumo Glue) & even with epoxy holding.

For prep I have used 40 or 50 grit sandpaper and cleaned surfaces with 99% pure isopropyl alcohol (and let alcohol dry before applying glue).

I have had the best result so far with Pliobond billed as industrial contact cement.
Has anyone tried Speedbonder for bone or stag? I did not see anything tested specifically on stag or bone, (unless I missed it in the spreadsheet).
How about Acraglas, has anyone used it on stag or bone?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Dale

Last edited by orvet; 01-08-2008 at 03:16 AM.
Old 01-08-2008, 01:46 PM
Steel Addict

Acra-glas works great on stag.

After this thread I did some experimenting of my own and I'm using Loctite E-120 on slab type handles and I'm using good ole Acra-glas on hidden tang knives.

The Locktite E-120 was the best one I tested for all around glueing things together and holding up in the dishwasher and the freezer.

I tried the speedbonder loctite adhesives and they were a terrible failure. I was very disappointed in their strength.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:14 AM

Here's the link to the E-120HP Technical Data Sheet:
https://tds.us.henkel.com//NA/UT/HNAUTTDS.nsf/web/8FD3ABAA09A649FE882571870000DB2F/$File/HysAE-120hp-EN.pdf
Enjoy.
- Mitch

Last edited by Troop; 02-02-2008 at 10:17 AM.
Old 02-02-2008, 10:29 AM

AND, Here is the link to the Loctite 324 Technical Data Sheet:

https://tds.us.henkel.com//NA/UT/HNAUTTDS.nsf/web/8D3D677339F34ACD882571870000D65C/$File/324-EN.pdf

Last edited by Troop; 02-02-2008 at 10:33 AM.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:03 PM

with the postiive results in the
Loctite E120-HP

i was wondering if anyone has considered side by side testing of this one with

Loctite
E30-CL
Ultra clear

It seems to me that the ultra clear would be an advantage and as i have used it, works very well.
Old 10-03-2008, 04:27 PM
Guru

I did call loctite on the difference in 120 and 60/50/40/30/20. The difference is the number is the cure time and the letters after that is the sub type, i.e.
HP high performance
CL clear
FL flexible
IC induction cure
NS non-sag
NC Non-Corrosive
GW galvanized steel to wood
HT high temp
UT contains kevlar

Mostly the materials you are using makes the difference in which flavor you go with, i.e. using glass get the CL as it dries clear, GW if your using galvanized steel to wood.

But steel - cold steel is master of them all.
Rudyard Kipling (1865 - 1936)
Old 10-03-2008, 05:17 PM
Hall of Famer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliff fendley
Acra-glas works great on stag.

After this thread I did some experimenting of my own and I'm using Loctite E-120 on slab type handles and I'm using good ole Acra-glas on hidden tang knives.

The Locktite E-120 was the best one I tested for all around glueing things together and holding up in the dishwasher and the freezer.

I tried the speedbonder loctite adhesives and they were a terrible failure. I was very disappointed in their strength.
I use the same methods. If it works stay with it. You can't beat acra-glas on a hidden tang.

Old 10-05-2008, 10:17 AM
Registered

gotta love the glue wars.. it will never end which is great!

I haven't gone out of my way to look for or test any new adhesives lately. I have heard there is a white colored version of Gorilla Glue being sold now but I haven't found it on a store shelf yet. The yellow cured color was kind of an issue before for some. Gorilla and Sumo glues are exceptional adhesives and worth having a bottle around just for general use.

I still fall back to 2 part epoxy most often for fixing handles to full tang blades. I also still use JBweld for sealing the seam in bolsters although since I've started using my pin press, there isn't much of a seam left to seal.
Old 10-05-2008, 03:47 PM
Skilled

Yeah, I was there, early on in this thread and used to use nothing but AcraWeld. Now my favorite is Loctite 300 Depend but I have, as expected, some bad reviews here on that one too. Anyone have the ultimate? Gorilla glue, JB Weld, Loctite 120, etc. etc..........Help!!

Last edited by DaveL; 10-05-2008 at 04:34 PM.

Tags
a, apply, awesome, blade, epoxy, fixed blade, forge, glue, handle, hot, knife, knife making, knives, made, making, material, materials, mount, pins, post, project, tang, weld