MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 07-08-2012, 10:38 PM
Skilled

A ? for the wood stabilizers

Since i started looking into stabilizing my own wood i have been wondering if there is an industry standard for the size of a blank or scale? I started cutting blocks at 1.5x1.75"x5" which is the size a lot of the knife supply stores sell but there seems to be so much waste. Im trying to figure a good size to cut them at so i could sell any extra im not using but not waste a bunch of wood if i have to cut a lot away to finish a handle, especially when some of the emory oak burl was $15 a lb to purchase.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:32 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

The majority of the blocks I buy are probably closer to 1" x 1.5" x 5" but I'd often like to have a slightly larger block. You might want to make the blocks slightly larger because the commercial stabilization process (or equivalent) is so extreme that it will warp a block of wood and you'll need the extra so that the block can be trued up without becoming too small.

A word about selling your stabilized wood: when you advertise that your wood is stabilized most knife makers will assume you mean the usual high pressure/vacuum acrylic process. That's what 'stabilized' means in our context. Anything else - any other process - should be carefully explained to avoid any confusion or disappointment. After a few years at this most of us learn that if you want stabilized wood you are far better off buying professionally stabilized product than any type of home brew.

Of course, you may be planning to send your wood out to K&G or WSSL to be stabilized, you didn't really make that clear, but it would probably be the smarter way to get it done....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-09-2012, 08:51 AM
Enthusiast

just about all the stabilizing i do i leave the blanks a little big and cut them to size after stabilizing, with the size of blanks that the knife makers use i see no need to apply presure to the chambers to get full penetration, currently im getting full penetration with no voids on 6"thick x 6"dia bowl blanks, I do dry vac first to get all the air out prior to placing resin in chambers.

Jon
Old 07-09-2012, 12:39 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Personally, my preferred size for blocks is AT LEAST 1 1/4"X 1 3/4" X 5" (finished size). And optimally blocks that are 2" in height (top to bottom)......this allows me to create handles that fit a human hand, rather than it coming out like a "broom stick". If the handle material is large enough, I can always "take it off"....but I can never put it back on.

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."

Tags
apply, back, bee, handle, home, knife, knife supply, make, material, resin, stabilization, stabilizing, supply, wood