MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 10-18-2001, 11:45 AM
ansoknives

Pantograph.....what to look for?

I am seing a used Pantograph tommorow at a very resonable price.....I think it is a pretty big model. Any idea what to look for when checking it out?...It should be in excellent condition with several tools included.
Old 10-19-2001, 08:14 AM
Geno

I assume you mean a mill.( I have a pantograph engraver)
Check all the slides carefully. The travel should be smooth all the way.The joints and pivots are more obvious. The spindle needs to be tight, without side to side play. With one hand on the spindle and one hand on the guide, check out how much play is BETWEEN these two parts, as this gorens how much play will be in your work.Make sure you have the power in your shop to run it,(it may be three phase).
Let us know if you get it, OK? Be Blessed!
Old 10-19-2001, 03:13 PM
ansoknives

Yes I got it...I must confess I did not check it very much...I don?t think I had too.....It looks like new even though it is probably 20 years or more. It is in excellent condition! and worth 4-5 times as much as I paid I am sure. It was all nice oiled in standing in a warehouse. The guy selling it to me offered to CNC mill my logos etc to use as guides...It has been milling prototype out on LEGO and only in plastic...It has alot of tools including 2 full alfabets and numbers (one is mirrored).

I will get it transported to our new house in 2 weeks and I will try to get pics...It even came with a manual!!

Old 10-19-2001, 03:15 PM
ansoknives

oh ya...it is a mill...but also an engraver...it is pretty big weighing probably 400-600 pounds. I look forward to my new toy!!
Old 10-19-2001, 05:06 PM
Bob Warner

Sounds like you will soon be adding new tricks to your knives. Looking forward to seeing what you can do with it.

Looking forward to the pictures.
Old 10-20-2001, 07:28 AM
Geno

A boy with his toys.
I'm very happy for you, but I must confess, a little jelous too.
It sounds like a God send for your shop.
Old 10-24-2001, 08:04 AM
Geno

Well Jens,
What have you made with it?
We wanna see.
Old 10-24-2001, 12:10 PM
ansoknives

sorry guys..! I have not even gotten it yet...I am waiting for the keys to my house...next Thursday....I don?t want to move that thing twice! But I will for sure post something when I get it set up.

Tags
knives