MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 10-19-2001, 07:29 PM
Knifemaker01

Gene's cable mokume

Gene; I recently saw a knife of yours on a couple other forums, that had a guard make from cable, and something is said about "sucking brass up into it" i believe. You've got me (and several others I would imagine) curious about how this is accomplished. Could you please fill us in on this process?

Steve
www.stevescutlery.com
Old 10-19-2001, 07:46 PM
Bob Warner

Here is an example of what your talking about.

Gene will have to explain how he does it but the melting of brass causes some dangerous fumes so if you try this, be careful, and work in a vary well ventilated area, preferably outside.
Old 10-20-2001, 07:41 AM
Geno

The bronze cable damascus is like soldering a wire,(with brass)
It is a two step process.
When the cable is hotter than the liquid brass, the brass runs up into the cable, like tinning a wire.This step is very important to get all the voids out of the cable, and filled with brass.Next let the cable cool down just a few degrees less than the brass, then dip it again to get a heavy outer coating on it.
Cut it, split it, grind it, polish it, and then flame blue it.
Wah lah!!!!!! See how easy it is?

..........WARNING............WARNING.......WARNING ..........
I can not emphasise how dangerous melting brass is, that is why I built a special furnace to keep my brass liquid. The fumes are given off during the melting process, once it is already liquid, it is much more stable to work with.

I will soon offer this bronze damascus to other makers, along with some pretty unusual cable composite blades.
Old 10-20-2001, 08:07 AM
Knifemaker01

Thanx Gene for the explanation of the process. I kind of suspected that was how it was done, but couldn't be sure. We had somewhat of a debate going in the Paltalk room about this, and now I can go back and say *nanner-nanner-nanner*.LOL Only problem with this is, it means that I'm that much closer to thinking like a pounder (egads).BG

Thanx again.

Steve
www.stevescutlery.com
Old 10-21-2001, 11:22 PM
Geno

Thanks Steve,
It's always good to hear that people are talking about what I do. It kinda makes a guy feel like he did something right.
I like coming up with the unusual.
I'm asking Pat to post a pic of my new dagger blade tomorrow.
It took several tries before I got it right. I have not finished the knife yet, but it will have a fine twisted wire wrapped handle, blued guard and hilt,(probably my bronze cable damascus), and a fancy inlayed sheath.
Old 10-22-2001, 11:15 PM
TMarshman

Gene, I love that stuff!! More pics, Pat!

Steve, I could definitely see you pounding - your blade style says hand forged.
Old 10-23-2001, 10:55 AM
KnifeWife

I'm adding a bunch of new knives to the web site today. This is a closeup of one of them.

Old 10-23-2001, 12:55 PM
primos

Oh man! What contrast on that one. Is it blued? Tell us more please.
Old 10-23-2001, 01:48 PM
Bob Warner

It is heat blued. You should see this stuff in person, it is great. I heard a lot of comments about it when hanging around at Geno's table during the Spirit of Steel show.
Old 10-23-2001, 04:32 PM
KnifeWife

Here's the whole knife.
7" cable damascus blade with silver stripes, 11-1/2" overall, bronze cable damascus guard (flame blued) with black and yellow expansion spacers, stag handle with stone inlay, filework, hand-tooled leather slip sheath

Old 10-24-2001, 07:58 AM
Geno

Terry,
Yes, it is flame blued.
Suck the brass up into the cable, grind it down, polish and blue.Wahlah!
Old 10-24-2001, 04:33 PM
John m cohea

Gene, I really LOVE that cable mokume!!! I had a similar idea using 30 or 40 thousandths 1095 and the same size brass sheet, using Robert Coogan`s mokume techniqe as described in Steve Midggets book on the subject.Will this work? I think it will, and since I got my forge in today, I will give it a try soon. I`ll let you know how it turns out.
Old 10-25-2001, 02:46 PM
muddy97

Video

Gene: This cable is outstanding. In your "FREE TIME" what would be great for us new guys, is a short video on how you make your cable damascus and your cable mokume. Again an outstanding job. Muddy
Old 10-26-2001, 07:53 AM
Geno

Re: Video

John,
1095 and nickel works well- don't try and forge brass.
It is dangerous and fustrating.
Thanks Muddy,
"free time", That's a good one.
I do have a damascus video in the works using cable.
Old 10-29-2001, 09:42 PM
Mike Sader

Re: Video

Gene, I've heard that you don't want to forge brass in the forge because of contamination. Is this true,in your tutorial earlier you used a torch to heat the cable and brass didn't you?Just trying to remember. Mike Sader

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives