MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Fit & Finish

Fit & Finish Fit and Finish = the difference in "good art" and "fine art." Join in, as we discuss the fine art of finish and embellishment.

Old 04-09-2001, 08:43 PM
Shotgunone

How do you answer this???

As a new knifemaker I get asked this question a lot? Here is my answer but what I really want to know is how do you know!!!

The Question "How do you tell when your knife is sharp enough?" I usually say when it will shave hair easily.

Is there a better way to tell when it is sharp? What do you use for your benchmark for sharp?

Old 04-09-2001, 10:55 PM
MIKE KOLLER

I think(here I go again)that the A.B.S.does an endurance type test to see how long it will continue to cut.But they may just be in reference to edge holding ability
Old 04-10-2001, 05:11 AM
george tichbourne

I used to use the shaving test but found occasionally a small dead spot on the blade would escape my attention so I have switched to shaving thin strips off a piece of scrap leather starting at the heel of the blade and working toward the tip. This is easier in my opinion at least.
Old 04-10-2001, 06:02 AM
Don Cowles

I do what George does, but using paper instead of leather. Starting at the ricasso, I draw the blade in a continuous cut from the plunge to the tip. Any flat or dead spots show up immediately as a drag or tear in the cut, and can be dealt with until they are all gone and the blade slices cleanly from end to end.

I still like to shave a little hair from the back of my hand, but I don't do that until after I have gone through the process above.
Old 04-10-2001, 08:10 AM
Geno

Slicing paper is a good test. Newspaper to be exact.
After the paper though,shave some wood and see if the edge rolls, then do the paper again.
That helps insure sharpness and staightness.

Have you ever tried to shave the letters off the newspaper?
Split a hair lengthwise?
Cut a free standing (empty) soda can?(with One swing)

There are a lot of ways to tell something is sharp,the best way is to clearly say out loud "Hey,BE Careful,that thing is really sharp!!!

OK?

Tags
blade, knife