MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 09-29-2020, 12:10 PM

Not that I feel an explanation is owed, it's not the Apocrypha, but the Pseudepigrapha about which I was referring. Genesis6:1-4 is referring to the Book of Enoch. The Enochian account expands on the Biblical account about fallen angels (the Watchers) coming to earth, mating with human women, and spawning a race of giants, called the Nephilim. Enoch's account also chronicles said Watchers teaching humans things that they didn't know; one of those things was the forging of weapons, so as to more effectively kill one another. The watchers didn't care for humans all that much, except for breeding with.

These ancient Hebrew Texts and their English translations can be hard to come by, and printed collected editions quite expensive. For those interested in reading them and further exploring the story, Dr. Heiser's works can be as helpful as they are affordable in parsing and understanding said texts, should one want to explore them. So in that context, the mention of his books was quite relevant, both to those interested in the texts, and those wanting to further their understanding of ancient supernatural connections to bladesmithing.

But whether you believe either the story or the sources or not, it's a interesting read that does connect our beloved trade with the supernatural, in a way that is somewhat different from the Greco-Roman stories of Vulcan's forge. He was a divine being in their pantheon who forged thunderbolts for Zeus. Not many other trades have such ancient supernatural connections. It's only natural to want to discuss ancient origins, be they real or fabled, because of their connection to the craft.

Again as there was no evangelism to anything taking place, and any opposing views would have been welcome, although we weren't discussing particular theological positions of belief. Has anyone complained? Are there more than just a handful of people who even use the forums anymore? It was pretty dead around here when I began posting again. I'd think anything to discuss would be better than nothing, which was pretty much what I found when I returned.

And when did you become so concerned with everybody's feelings? You were thrown off of several forums for stepping on people's toes quite frequently, and with reckless abandon. You threw down gauntlets literally designed to elicit a brawl. I didn't agree with your being banned, as forums "should" be free, and if you don't like what's written, then you're free not to read it, but the history is there. There was a time when everything and anything was fair game for discussion, and arguments were encouraged, as long as they didn't degenerate into insults and threats. Welcome to the new normal, I guess. Maybe we should call ourselves The Kinder Gentler Neo-Tribal Metalsmiths.

Old 09-29-2020, 01:23 PM

Academically, the book of Enoch is considered Apocrypha. Theologically, one's personal beliefs about Apocrypha, fall more under what is considered religious belief and is highly debatable. I don't want to see a debate about the validity of Apocrypha or Pseudepigrapha from a religious standpoint.

For our purposes of discussion, it doesn't matter whether Apocrypha or Pseudepigrapha are considered "scriptural", sacred, biblical, or to be true or not. Any references to ancient texts are welcome in the context of bladesmithing history, literature, mythology and/or folklore.

... Sorry, If I ever hurt your feelings bro and don't see any need to dredge up the past. I have my own views about all that and don't want to discuss it either.

I don't know about a kinder gentler N-TMs, but how about a kinder gentler Outpost? The Neo-Tribal Metalsmiths as an organization disbanded, because of internal power plays, NT politics, internet flame wars and such.

That was then, this is now. Let's see if we can all grow up a little and learn from our past mistakes... No one is perfect. Let's don't repeat the past and see if we can learn from our mistakes... however doubtful that may be. LOL

... All we can do is try. The spirit of the N-TMs still lives.

So, dancing around the forge naked under full moons, laughing wildly with our butts painted blue and spilling a little beer are fine,... but religion and politics are a no no.

Thus sayeth the "Swami Guru". hee hee

(My name is Tai Goo and I approve this message.)

Last edited by Tai Google; 09-29-2020 at 04:34 PM.
Old 09-29-2020, 05:01 PM

You never hurt my feelings, Bro, in fact it was me who lobbied several Fourm fathers back in the day to not uphold your banishment, and to reinstate you. I never considered any topic off limits, as long as they were approached with mutual respect and a certain amount humility.

As far as "dredging up the past;" Bro, we are the past, we cannot erase that. It is what it is...or perhaps it is what it was. So I'm sorry if I hurt your feelings, but I don't see it as dredging up the past as if it was something shameful. I thought it more like badges of honor. It's what made us what we were then, and I'm not convinced it was a bad thing. I'd bet the ABS frequented forums never had such spirited conversations, and if truth be told never had as much fun.

It's like the knife world was the rest of the civilized world, and the NTM's were like the Irish. We'd get drunk and knock each other's teeth loose, then laugh about it and go have another pint. In the morning no one could remember what we fought about or why anyway.

So don't t take it so personally. I just found your trying to corral us in our most recent conversation somewhat out of character to one who used to love to throw the first punch. And I also meant that as a fond complement. Don't go getting old on me Bro.

Old 09-29-2020, 05:39 PM

When I was 40, I looked myself square in the eye, had a long hard talk with myself and said, "if you think you are getting old now, you'll know for sure when you turn 60, you dumb ass"... Well, I'm a ways passed that, and concede to the fact that I am old. The cool thing is, I don't remember much of the bad stuff and don't want to be reminded.

... The best part of getting old is forgetting bad stuff. LOL

Old 09-29-2020, 05:50 PM

Tai, a lot of the "bad stuff" was good. There's so much real bad stuff happening in the world today, that our "bad stuff" was...excellent, by comparison. The goal is to get to the finish line with as few regrets as possible.

Old 09-29-2020, 07:00 PM

Yeah, you're right bro.

The only thing to regret, is regret itself. I regret a lot of things about other people. LOL

... like if so and so and such and such was an "A" hole and on and on and on. I'm not saying any of it was my fault, oh heavens no!

I'm not perfect, but I do what I can, right?... I did my job and came out smelling like a rose.

Last edited by Tai Google; 09-29-2020 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-29-2020, 10:09 PM

Brother there were times we all got bloody. We can't be held responsible for what other people do/did, but it's how we respond that's important. And you're right, none of us are perfect. We may not be the best, but we'll do to the best gets here.

Old 09-30-2020, 01:25 AM
Super Moderator

An old boss of mine, John, passed away 2 weeks ago. He was the best boss I ever had and I can't count the number of laughs I had around the guy. When I turned 30, I hit a super depression. People tell me that everyone has a certain age that hits them like that. John and I talked about that one day and he told me that he hit his wall at 40, but soon got over it and never looked back. John used to say some pretty funny stuff, and so he told me that one of the benefits of getting old is that your eyesight goes bad. I asked how in the world did he figure that was a good thing. He replied that with poorer eyesight, not only do more women start looking good, but their mothers start looking good, too!

Old 09-30-2020, 07:55 AM

As they say here in NC Jack, "You ain't right," and I mean that in the best possible way. And I guess when the hearing goes, you can't hear 'em fuss as much. You are making me feel better about my golden years, although my years are more like rusty iron.

Old 09-30-2020, 01:40 PM

... another nice thing about getting old is people actually believe your excuses, even wives!

I don't know, I forgot, I can't find it, I'm tired and I don't feel good. Remember those words and use them wisely.

Last edited by Tai Google; 09-30-2020 at 01:45 PM.
Old 09-30-2020, 10:10 PM

Yea and amen. True wisdom.

Old 10-01-2020, 10:35 AM

" Honey, I thought you were going to haul the garbage this morning. What happened?" (wife)

"Well,... I didn't sleep good last night, woke up with a back ache and then I couldn't find my truck keys. I wasn't feeling good anyway and couldn't remember what I was supposed to do with those used plastic bags that have been piling up. I thought I'd wait until you got home to see what you wanted me to do. Have you seen my truck keys anywhere?" (me)

"No, but that's O.K. Why don't you just relax, have a beer and watch some TV. There's always tomorrow. I hope you feel better. Is there anything I can bring you while I'm up." (wife)

"Sure, I'll take a beer, thanks. Can you open it for me? My hands are acting up again today too." (me)

"... How was work today?... What's for diner?" (me)

Last edited by Tai Google; 10-01-2020 at 11:24 AM.
Old 10-01-2020, 11:36 AM

You know you might be getting really old when, middle aged dudes from all walks of life start getting the door for you at the beer store... It's the strangest thing!

Wait a minute,... what planet are we on? LOL

Life is good!

Last edited by Tai Google; 10-01-2020 at 12:49 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 09:11 PM

And I’m always surprised when a young person says “sir.” I didn’t know they taught that anymore.

Old 10-01-2020, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

My old boss, John, was hard of hearing, and so sometimes he talked pretty loud but thought he was talking quietly. Some pipeline folks were in town for training or something and John took a group of us out for dinner in downtown Houston. We hadn't been to this particular restaurant in a while, but they had a pretty good chicken fried steak. The waitress came around to take drink orders and in the course of talking to her, John said he didn't remember seeing her there and was she new. No, she replied, I've been here for a couple of years and I've waited on you many times. John told her to be sure to bring him a glass for his beer. She walked away and John said (too loudly), Boy, I didn't recognize her. She put on a lot of weight.

I saw the girl's face turn purple. She came back in a few minutes with bottles of beer and glasses, but she slammed down the beer bottle in front of John with no glass. John asked, "Hey, where's my glass?" The waitress replied, "I ground it up and put it in your beer bottle."

Several apologies and a nice tip smoothed over the situation.

On another occasion, we had a new waitress. She had to ask John several times for his drink order because she didn't hear him. He said, "I'm sorry. Guess I'm slow. Gin and tonic." What she heard was "Sloe Gin & Tonic." and she brought out this strange drink. He tried to pretend it would be ok, just so not to embarass her, but he couldn't choke it down.

Tags
a, abs, arizona, art, back, blade, ca, craft, demo, dust, fac, forging, how to, interesting, knife, knife making, knifemaking, make, makers, materials, post, primitive, search engines, shop, tribal