MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > Heat Treating and Metallurgy

Heat Treating and Metallurgy Discussion of heat treatment and metallurgy in knife making.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2021, 08:03 AM

Heat Treat 1084 Questions

I have a set of 1084 blades that I created via stock removal, and am wondering if they need stress relief (normalization?) prior to heat treat or not. (I am using a kiln for Heat Treatment) I have heard many different opinions on this, and some insist stress relief is needed even from grinding bevels to stabilize grain structure. I plan on foil wrapping them to minimize carbonization, as my blade tolerances don't allow for much more steel to be removed following heat treat. To relieve stress, I follow a three step process of bringing the blade to critical temperature, letting it soak for five minutes, and cooling it in air as the blade color changes from red to black. I know 1084 is one of the easier steels to heat treat, and I have had success with it in the past. I am stuck on the "normalizing" or "stress relieving" steps which seem to be used synonymously by some. Or is that step necessary for 1084? Also, I have always placed my blades edge up during heat treat, and quench horizontally. Your experienced opinions would be much appreciated! Thanks for your help!

Tags
1084, 15n20, advice, bee, black, blade, blades, bullet, ca, edge, forging, grinding, heat, heat treat, heat treatment, hot, knife, knifemaking, quenched, question, relief, simple, steel, stock removal, supply