MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Randall Knives Forum

Randall Knives Forum Discuss Randall Knives

Old 11-08-2015, 08:36 AM

I have done allot of brazing, ( welder for a number of years), and been around old timers in the field. Silver soldering is a similar process with lower temps. I have seen brass discolor due to over heating. The leather handle does not look right to me either. The stamp could be a forgery. I read on other forums they are made and used to sell fake Randalls. So the stamp doesn't prove anything imo, to easy to do in Russia, China, etc. I go with fake. Not the first on E-Bay. :-)
Old 11-08-2015, 01:55 PM
Skilled

Cochise, you mentioned that the leather handle doesn't look right. What is it about it that doesn't look right to you?

Thanks, Sam

Old 11-08-2015, 03:53 PM

Let me the first to say i could be wrong. :-)

the look is strictly not right in the photo, ...... to me. The edges of the spacers are off ....to me. the shape toward the butt is wrong ......... to me. I would need to see the knife in person before buying. Your pictures are great, my conclusion is that the "look" of the knife, blade, grip, and solder on the hilt is not Randall.
Old 11-08-2015, 04:22 PM
Skilled

Thanks Cochise. Maybe others will weigh in with their opinions too.

As for me, no red flags, it "looks legit" to me.

Another thing that I have noticed about these early Randall's. The smell of the leather handle. Like many antiques, they have that specific old smell. Unless the leather has been over conditioned.

Here is an obvious fake that I saw in person a couple of years ago. The stamp is close, and to the untrained eye, it would pass. The knife style....not so much :-)

Thanks, Sam G

[/IMG]
Old 11-08-2015, 10:51 PM
Skilled

Pardon me if I say that I've probably spent more time, published more info on the Randall blade stamp than just about anyone. The stamp on the fake blade Sam shows is so wrong on so many details that it would surely be called out (wouldn't it?).

However the stamp on the subject is probably good for a lot of reasons including correlation with other stamps from the same 1944 or so time period.

I don't know about handle or spacers, but they look within the range that I've seen, but I am far from an expert on this genre of knife. Ron gave it a hesitant thumbs up so I'll opt for Randall.

Regards.
Old 11-09-2015, 04:49 AM

the stamp on Sam's last post look as legit as can be BUT is not. Crazy fake, :-)

The day of a Randall stamp authenticating a knife is over IMO

Last edited by cochise; 11-09-2015 at 04:52 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:41 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacknola
Pardon me if I say that I've probably spent more time, published more info on the Randall blade stamp than just about anyone. The stamp on the fake blade Sam shows is so wrong on so many details that it would surely be called out (wouldn't it?).
Most definitely to the professionally trained eye, but to the casual eye, passable.

Here is a photo from Jacknola's flood of fakes thread,

And once again from the fake I posted.

In Jacknola thread photo, the words Randall and Orlando line up, making it an obvious visual fake.
On the one I posted, the 2 words are closer to authentic.
Then you have the rounded scimitar tops, different shaped comma after ORLANDO, lack of a period after FLA. Obvious gap between F LA that you don't see in other authentic stamps.

Definitely a fake, but less obvious IMO than others.
Old 11-09-2015, 06:46 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cochise
The day of a Randall stamp authenticating a knife is over IMO
I think it still fairly easy to pick them out, but just as the shop has a stamp made from time to time, a forger could do an accurate job. The tell would more than likely be in the knife itself. Too many areas to perfect. The most difficult problem to overcome I believe, if forging an older Randall, is the old smell.

Thanks, Sam

Last edited by samg; 11-09-2015 at 07:38 AM.
Old 11-09-2015, 08:35 AM

yes I think you're right Sam. the stamp is only one item to pick out the bad ones. However going by the stamp alone is not good anymore imo
Old 11-09-2015, 04:49 PM
Skilled

Moral of the story is to buy from a reputable source, and there are many in this community.

Tags
angle, antique, bee, blade, book, brass, common, flat, hand, handle, heat, knife, knives, leather, make, man, military, post, randall, sheath, solder, spacers, stamps, ww2, wwii