MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-08-2013, 11:02 AM
Steel Addict

Belt Sander Question

I have the stander HF 1x30 "Ghetto Sander" but I really want to upgrade because mine sounds as if it may croak any second. Porter Cable has a nice 4x32 belt sander 8" disc combo for under $200 and I can pick it up at Lowe's.

However. Grizzly has a 2" x 27 with a 6" disc for $109 plus shipping. I guess I also need to consider the availability of belts for these too.

I've never shopped for sanders before, angle grinders sure, but never sanders.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:32 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Obviously, money is an object as it always is but if you can possibly stretch your budget to cover the Grizzly 2x72" knife maker's belt sander at about $600 you'll be far, far better off. The 2x72" will give yo access to all the belts we use and it will be the last sander you have to buy until you decide you want something better - in other words, you won't have to buy a half dozen $100 sanders over the next few years. Many of us have Grizzly 2x72" we have been using for over 20 years.

But, if the 2x72" just isn't in the cards then try for something in a 2x48" or a 2x42" Those sanders have fair power and most of the same belts are available. Most any other size will be limited to wood working belts and will also be seriously underpowered like your 1x30.

There will be a bunch of us in the Chat Room tonight (see the Chat Room thread in this forum). Hope you can join us there ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Steel Addict

Yeah, would love to have a 2x72.........not sure if I can swing that though. Depends on what I get for my barely used Tormek Sharpener I have on the bay. So I guess a 4" belt is too much. A 2 x 48 would probably be do-able for though, thanks for the input. Wish I could build my own, my buddy back in MD is the VP of an electric motor company. I could get a Baldor Motor for next to nothing!
Old 09-08-2013, 12:13 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Lots of guys make do with 4" sanders but those are designed for wood and have very weak motors. I don't know why you can't build your own - you didn't say - but there are plans out there for a No Weld grinder. In addition, in one of Wayne Goddard's books he built a grinder out of wood. So......

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 09-08-2013, 12:34 PM
Steel Addict

I'll look into the no weld, thanks a bunch!
Old 09-08-2013, 07:42 PM
Steel Addict

The no-weld grinder is what I run, and honestly it was worth every penny. The most expensive part of the entire build is the motor. Then comes the wheels but at the end of the day its all worth it. Also if you can get a motor for next to nothing your build could be very cost effective.

I don't remember exactly but I want to say without the wheels my entire build cost around 400 ish. And I'll say it one more time, it is well worth it. Even if it takes a little bit of buying a couple things at a time I HIGHLY recommend going this route. And make sure your motor is powerful enough!

If I were you I'd squeeze what I could out of the one you got and find a way to get a 2x72.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:15 PM
Enthusiast

I second the No weld grinder. Take your time and square it up. I love mine, and get at least an 8in contact wheel, a 10 inch would be better. Get one with the bearing in the wheel. I did mine without and used pillow blocks, but would do it different if I did it again.

MM
Old 09-08-2013, 11:50 PM
Master

I would hold off on buying any other sanders if you can. Try to take the time to build a 2x72 and you will thank yourself later. I just finished my 2x72 and I can't believe I went without one. I did all my grinding on a 1x42 with what I thought were good results. The first blade I ground on the 2x72 turned out amazing compared to the other grinder.

Mine was a super simple build and cost me very little compared to a new one. I made it almost completely from scrap steel that we had laying around at work except for the wheels and bearings of course.

These were the first knives I have ground on my 2x72. The grinds are a lot flatter and straighter then what I coul do on the little sander. Another thing that helps a lot is being able to get good belts.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:42 PM
Steel Addict

Very nice setup....Truth is, I'm disabled so I'm on a fixed income.....not looking for pity, just explaining why a no weld grinder may not be feasible for me yet. I still have yet to complete my own knife. Been practicing on blanks from ebay. Got a few slabs of Micarta some Lebanese Cedar and Box Elder coming for the handles, then probably going to make an order with Aldo.

Think I'll settle for the sander I have now until it dies. My last one bit the dust early and Harbor Freight sent me a new one. I am supposed to send the bad one back, just haven't gotten around to it yet. Heck, it sounds as if I may need the pulleys off it. Seems like there are a lot of belts around for that sander anyhow. Seriously though, thanks for all the advice. It was much appreciated, especially seeing how I just joined!
Old 09-10-2013, 06:21 AM

When you do make the leap to the larger more knifemaker oriented belt grinder whether you build or buy, plan on powering with a variable speed set up. If you can get Baldors cheap, then take advantage of the "spend" to go variable. Another "you won't regret" issue when it comes to grinders. Also go with as much horsepower as your house/shop will handle safely in the planning.

Not trying to beat a dying horse, but if you will connect with the Ga Guild, several quality grinder deals float through the group each year. Had a 2x72 Griz unit go for just under $400 (barely used with all attachments) just this past fall. It is a tremendous more localized networking source for SE knifemakers.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 09-10-2013, 04:33 PM
Steel Addict

You're not beating anything bro'... I fully intend to connect with the Guild. I am anxious to learn everything I can about this. Just wish I had started learning earlier in life! But at 44 I feel I am better suited now to hone this craft than in my younger days.
Old 09-11-2013, 04:40 AM

Oh, I beat things! Check with anyone that knows me. If I can't fix it with a hammer.......it's an electrical problem!
44's not bad, more focus and common sense.

Realize it'd be a long haul, but if you are enjoy weekend camping in the NGA mountains, my Trackrock Hammer-in is the end of this month (weather ought to be just right). You are most welcome to attend.
See Trackrock thread for info.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H

Tags
2x72, advice, angle, back, baldor, bearing, bee, blade, build, common, dies, flat, grinding, hammer, handle, hone, knife, knifemaker, knives, made, make, simple, steel, weld, wood