MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Factory Knife Customization & Mid-Tech Boards > Knife Kits Forum

Knife Kits Forum New to the art of knife making? Learn to make awesome knives, using advanced hands-on training inside. From KnifeKits.com.

Old 07-26-2002, 08:09 AM
Registered

Send a message via Yahoo to PirateMike
First of Many

OK the kits arrived yesterday I guess now is when I will start in the questions, the instructions that came with the kits are marginal at best, not a big deal will require me to be a little more creative, I went through them all last night for a little bit but am going to wait till the weekend to get a real start of any kind on them. I have a folder kit (4" locak blade) and a small fixed blade knife I think I have everything I need a couple of questions to get me started I would like to mark the blades with a number and a marking of some sort even though I didn't make the blades if they have already been treated and all ready to go is this possible and what is the best way, Thinking a number on one side and maybe a initial brand or something on the other side of the blade.

Also in the folder kit there are two about 1.5" squares of a thick foil or a real thin sheet of metal of some sort no idea what the are or what they are for ?? The kits are from Texas Knife Works and seem to be real nice quality I guess I will tell you more if I can put them together or not.

I am sure I am going to have a ton of questions over the next couple of weeks any one in Dallas need a hardworking apprentice on the weekend I do grunt work !! Will work for knowledge ;-)

Thanks in advance

Ed 8o
Old 07-26-2002, 08:37 AM
Sam Wereb

Which kits did you buy? Plenty of people can help you with the assembly instructions, if they know which kits you're using.

Pratically all kit blades are delivered hardened, so you are going to play hell trying to mark them with any kind of stamp, or engraving tool, in my opinion.

If you are serious about making kits - and I don't know anyone who ever stopped at just one - you may want to consider the Personalizer, which is also available from Texas Knifemaker's Supply. It is an electo-chemical etching machine with which you can make any kind of etched mark you wish. Plenty of professional makers use it.

Good luck,

Sam
Old 07-26-2002, 09:28 AM

Ed-
Don't let the lack of instructions intimidate you. If you so much as try to put the parts together, you'll figure it out in a few minutes...really!!
You'll be amazed how quickly you start to have the beginnings of a great knife sitting in your hand. No B.S., 1st time will probably take no more than 15 minutes , on the outside!

It's the rest of the knife that gets real interesting...it's all up to you!

I sent a kit to my dad for his 75th B'Day. It's the Carbon Fiber upgrade DDR-II. He received it in Florida at 4:00pm on a monday. Had it basically finished by 8:30pm that night! Of course he then spent the next week playing around with a lot of sandpaper and 3M plastic scratch remover (my suggestion) to get it to a "showroom lustre". My mother reports that 3 weeks later and he's still polishing it up nearly every day!!

Needless to say, enjoy yourself!

Dennis

Yeah Baby!

PS. I have no idea what those little squares are. Doesn't sound like anything you need for the knife. Package "embellishment" from TKS?!?
Old 07-26-2002, 09:48 AM
Registered

the two kits are from Texas Knife Supply the folder is:

BL1580 5 Inch Lockback Folder Kit

and the fixed blade is :

BL545KC Judges Favorite Blade Kit W/Cryo

and yes the blades are pretty much complete I figured there wasn't much I could do with those in teh ways of marking.

From what I have read here everyone does the DDR kits I guess I will try them next will let you all know Monday how the weekend went
Old 07-26-2002, 09:56 AM
Skilled

heres a couple of site that you can checkout.

http://www.etch-o-matic.com/works.html

http://www.talonman1.com/index.htm

NT screaming gamecock Gann
Old 07-26-2002, 01:27 PM
Steel Addict

I am going to bet that the 2 pieces of metal are for you to use to set the proper gap for when you peen the pins. These are real thin, approx .005". Should go between the blade and liner, then peen away. Very important to do unless you are converting these lockbacks to a fixed blade
God luck
Dan

Check out my custom pens!
Old 07-26-2002, 02:50 PM

Ed-
My apologies...
I'm so used to everyone talking about DDR kits around here, it just didn't occur to me that you had bought other kits.

Having only made DDR kits, my advise will be inherently somewhat skewed. I guess those "little squares" had a purpose after all.

Dennis

Yeah Baby!
Old 07-26-2002, 03:08 PM
Registered

That makes sense I am not sure I would have figured that one out on my own or not on the fixed blade kit I am going to use the blade as a template to cut the rough handle forms from the scales. mount them to the blade and then sand and grind the whole thing together to keep a smooth and even finsish I think that is going to be my plan for the weekend before I do the folder ? but that may change between now and then. Will let you know monday what I come up with
Old 07-26-2002, 03:11 PM

Dennis
Screws and peening are two different things
Someday we may have a jack knife (traditional) folder kit. It is in the plans for down the road. Then we can peen also!

Tags
blade, fixed blade, hunting knife, knife, pocketknife