MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 01-16-2004, 05:25 PM
Living Legend

a 15 inch machete or a axe many of the smaller task that a knife is required for can be done with other found materials such as rocks and shells,wood,glass etc,but for large chopping youl need a large blade or axe.imop
Old 01-16-2004, 05:28 PM
Steel Addict

what about a lightsaber lol
Old 01-16-2004, 06:50 PM
Enthusiast

How about the tom brown tracker that one really looks use full. And besides that it is famous if that really counts for anything. but on the other hand there are a lot of good survival stuff incorporated into the design. I will have to go with that as my favorite.
Old 01-16-2004, 07:07 PM
Skilled

There was a story about a gamewarden in africa .who was at a friends meatmarket onetime and stoled or as he put it traded his hunting knife for a PIPEBRAND kitchen knife.I have looked at some
and feel a big kitchen knife with a thick spine would be what I would chose.

NT screaming gamecock Gann
Old 01-16-2004, 09:45 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
I agree with the ax idea. I have seen some of the new age hatchets with the hollow "space age material" handles that have a knife encases in the handle. Was thinking that there would also be room for some survival items.

I was a Boy Scout Wilderness survival instructor many years ago during the summers, I found a collins machete very useful, but if it were down to only one item, ID go with the hatchet/knife combo.
Plus a diamond rod!

God Bless

Mike

P.S.
Max:
If I could get you some of that "space age handle material" could you make me an ax with a Banana Republic knife in the handle???
Dont know if you guys have seen it, but , IT ROCKS!

Old 01-17-2004, 12:16 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
GOO VOODOO

What at first glance appears to be your average rustic NT camp knife,soon gives way when you pick this knife up. You can tell right away Tai put a lot of thought, experience, and knowlege of what a camp knife should be into making it.The distal taper and tapered tang merge seamlessly. When you hold it, the slightly weight forward ballance tells you, "chop something." The steep bevel in the belly backs up that command. The angle of the edge bevel tapers to a thinner sliceing portion of about four inches above the riccasso that is a full 3/16". 1095, edge quenched with a temper that is easily sharpened and holds that sharpness for a good long time.
When faced with a survival situation you absolutely need two things. Shelter and fire. Everything else is just gravy. When there can be only one, the choice has to be something that will get you those two things in the most expediant, reliable manner. If you had to bet your life, the odds would surely be in your favor with this tucked in the back of your pants as you dip out the back bedroom window.
(don't forget a good pair of fenceing pliers)

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 01-18-2004 at 03:10 AM.
Old 01-17-2004, 10:17 PM
Steel Addict

The trouble with choosing a knife that is capable of doing lots of things is you end up with a knife that doesn't do any one thing really well, so you end up in Dana's foot locker situation carting around special purpose knives.

If I could have only one knife, it would have to be a knife that is just "knife". Rocks and chunks of wood can be used as hammers, presumably an axe or hatchet isn't considered a knife so you could still have the option to carry one of those.

So something like the Cold Steel SRK would be my choice only in a custom made version. A forged blade with a good distal taper around 7" long or so, 3/16" or so thick at the spine, made of L6 or 1084 with a flat grind and a spear point. No guard or just a modest guard that doesn't extend above the spine of the blade and a mortised tang handle secured with bolts. The handle material could be any tough wood or even a synthetic. The handle should also have a thong hole.

Now if it were two knives, well the Laplanders already have it covered. A razor sharp puukko and a hefty leukko and you are good to go!

Old 01-18-2004, 12:26 AM
Enthusiast

Location: Southern Minnesota, where there's nothing between you and the North Pole but 10,000 lakes and Canada.
Knife

Randall Model 15 with Border Patrol handle.

A 3/4 axe would probably be better in the woods and a machette would probably be better in the jungle. The axe would work for heavy stuff but it wouldn't replace some form of knife. Since the axe isn't technically a knife, I'd take it as well.

One of these days I hope the answer will be some blade that is of my own creation. Steve
Old 01-18-2004, 06:00 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Roger G, I thought you said you found that knife in your garden. Remember that post? Seems long ago, and far away.

Old 01-18-2004, 09:45 PM
Steel Addict

I would pic one of my knives probably a flat ground spear point with stabilized wood handle and d-2,ats-34,a-2, or s30v blade Bos heat treated
Old 01-31-2004, 11:28 PM
Steel Addict

I would most definitely take my cold steel Ghurka Kukri. I know its not custom but I'm yet to find a better cutter and it will hold an edge forever... I'm short but very strong so the extra weight suits me.. ... I'm biased though cause I haven't been out in the woods without it since I was like 15 though. Peace.

~Matthew

Old 02-01-2004, 07:14 AM

If I could only have one knife...

Just one???? Man, what a terrible thought! I suppose I use my Leatherman Multi-tool the most, but if in a survival situation things would be different. I have a Gurka Kukri that was made durring WWII. Hand-forged from an old truck spring, I bought it in Germany during my years in the Army and I've seen that thing cut some amazing stuff. The axe/hatchet thing has me thinking too, though. I have two Estwing camp axes that I use for all kinds of things. I have a friend that skinned a fox with one, and they'll keep an edge for ever. I might choose one of those Norse trappers axes....those things are sweet. Anyway, as far as for choosing just one blade style, I guess I cant. As for the maker, however, that would beyond the shadow of a doubt be Daniel Winkler, or.....or maybe Bill Bagwell....did I mention Jim Batson? Oh crap...perhaps not so doubtless after all. Guess I'll just have to hope it never comes down to just one blade!!

Kevin Hagan

Old 02-01-2004, 06:30 PM
Guru

Something in between this:

and This:

About 250 mm long, Silver Steel, shaving edge - made by the Marttiini knifemakers of Finland. I'm biased, I admit, being a quarter Finn myself... but I have the shorter Leukku, and want one with a bit more meat on it - that long one is ridiculous, but I've seen an in-between model before, just can't find the link now.

Hammer on!

Tags
blade, folding knife, forge, hunting knife, knife, knives, pocketknife, switchblade