MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:32 AM

folding dagger lock bar question

Lets see if I can explain this.

I am attempting to make another dagger similar to the folder #6 and for the second time my first attempt at the liner with the lock on it will have to be redone. The problem I am running into is when I move the lock back far enough to fit the washers in the lock will engage when the blade is half open. In other words when the blade is perpandicular to the handle the lock slips off the blade and engages against the back of the blade. In order to make the lock long enough so this doesn't happen I end up way too close to the pvot pin. This seems to be more of a problem with the daggers since part of the design is to have the blade simetrical.
I appreciate the help.
Thanks
Steve

Old 02-15-2008, 09:19 AM
Skilled

could more material at the back of the pivot pin help? I looked at pics of #6 but could not determine if blade be was flush with bolsters when closed.

Make it your ambition to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business and to work with your hands, just as we told you, so that your daily life may win the respect of outsiders and so
that you may not be dependent on anybody.
1 Thessalonians 4:11-12
Old 02-15-2008, 09:39 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

Steve,

Sounds like your geometry is a little off the mark, there's not enough metal below the pivot or the pivot hole is not centered in the blade. When the pivot is centered in the blade there should be at least as much metal at the rear of the blade (where it contacts the stop bar) as there is above and below the pivot. Look at the blade design portion of my liner lock tutorial to see illustrations of what I'm talking about: http://www.rayrogers.com/ftutorial.htm I've made several folding daggers. If you follow this design method, it will work ...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-16-2008, 03:08 PM
Skilled

Is there any way you can post a pic of the blade and lock up? Just to better get the idea of what you are talking about. You are saying that the lock slides completely off of the tang? My locks are usually pretty close to the pivot. I just make my washers to fit what ever I need. My lock side washers are usually smaller than the other side and there is no blade wiggle at all. Here is a pic of one of my knives apart.

Jeremy

Tags
blade, knife, knives