MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 10-15-2005, 09:30 PM
Registered

i need a knife

ok i need a knife...im getting so flamed for this.....im 13.....but i need one for defense, any ideas? i wanna save up for a ka-bar all help appreciated, all flames expected.

maybe an uzi defender?
http://www.rdcenterprises.com/images...NB-in-case.jpg

Last edited by Lotion; 10-15-2005 at 10:10 PM.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:55 AM
Master

Since I don't know anything about you, I'll assume that you really do need one, and sugest going with a locking folder, the link you posted would probably be fine. At your age you would get too many hassles for carrying a fixed blade I think(of course where you live would make a difference too). Really though, your best self defense weapons are your eyes and your brain, most dangerous situations can be avoided if you pay attention to your surroundings and don't do anything stupid.

Old 10-16-2005, 11:01 AM
Registered

i live in new jersey n im really short 0_0...i want that uzi lol is that a good knife?
Old 10-16-2005, 01:27 PM
Steel Addict

Exclamation

I am concerned that a 13 year old is looking for a knife for self defense!! May I ask why you feel that you NEED a knife for self defense? I am just concerned, not trying to flame. But your request sends up red flags for me.
Old 10-16-2005, 02:12 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Yes, lotion my young friend. Defending ones self from an attack is something everyone thinks about. I believe it is a basic human survival mechanism that has fueled our ability to advance as far as we have. To be able to prepare for future happenings and devise a course of action is a very valuable skill to develop. You are not wrong for thinking these things. You just have to go about it the right way. In modern society there is a fine line one must walk. To fall to the wrong side of that line could easily change you from self defending victim, to knife wielding slasher thug in a heart beat. When we play these senerios of "What if" in our minds, we must take into account the consequences of our actions. I would suggest your first line of defence, is to read up on what you have the right to do to protect yourself. Click here to find out what happens when people assumed to have rights they did not have. Pulling a knife is NEVER a wise choice in the first line of defence and should be considered the last ditch effort to self preservation. Without proper training, pulling a knife could get you shot, arrested or even stabbed with your own weapon.

In the meantime. If someone is intimidating, bullying, or threatening you. The first thing you should do is find a trusted adult in authority and make them aware of the situation. If there is noone you feel you can tell, feel free to share your feelings on why you feel you need a knife here and we will try to help.

Old 10-16-2005, 10:31 PM
Super Moderator

Introducing a weapon in a threatening situation can escalate things from bad to lethal before you can do anything to stop it. This isn't a flame; I know this from life experience. I got lucky - you might not.

Being right doesn't change the circumstance. Nor does size. Your best defense is using your head. Always! (Dinosaurs had size, mammals had brains. Which one won out?)

Teen years can be very tough. Some of the lessons you learn in those years are necessary - even the hard ones - so that you won't get into worse trouble later on. Hang in there. Your problems may seem huge at the moment, but they will pass if you just keep your head together.

Old 10-17-2005, 12:10 PM
Skilled

I remember when I was your age I was tormented by a "BIG" bully...(he stayed back a few years). I'm really not sure why he zeroed in on me all the time. He was big, mean, and hurtfull.....I hated him! I thought I would start to carry a boot knife with me in case I ever needed it.....untill my father found out....(that was not a fun day w/ the old man).

One night at the firemans carnival in town I was walking around with my family and I had an arm full of prizes...for a min. or two I lost my family and turned around to see you know who...once we made eye contact he started after me. My natural reaction was to run(which is great self defense...as long as you are faster)...I knew I wouldnt get away from him so I tossed all my stuff on the ground, turned around and slugged him right in the jaw.
That was the end of it.....he never busted my chops again.
Now I'm glad my dad took that knife from me...I could have ended up in jail or even worse....Dead!

Hope this gives you a bit of insite....use your brain...its the best weapon you have.

Mace

www.laurelrockforge.com

"Ain't nothing more useless than a dull knife or a short piece of rope"
Old 10-17-2005, 01:18 PM
Hall of Famer

Lotion, do you need a knife for reasons of defense? Is someone threatening you? Or is it that you are after someone?

Hensarling Custom Knives

Old 10-17-2005, 02:18 PM
Registered

nah im not "after" anyone, i just think i may need one someday...not for other kids but i live in an urban area....you see. i just think i may need one sometime, i gues your all right, no knife for me

by the way, how is it illegal to shank a guy trying to kill you? as in that urban survival syndrome article?

Last edited by Lotion; 10-17-2005 at 02:26 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 03:24 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Don't take that all wrong now. If you want a knife, get a knife. Knife collecting is a fun and interesting hobby. I have had a life long love for all things sharp and pointy. The people who read and post here are like minded people and understand your feelings of knife ownership. When I was young my dad and Grampa helped me with my collection. They also taught me when and where it was ok to carry one. The advice given above was to make sure you did not get in trouble. Owning a knife, and respecting it, is a lesson in responsibility. You have taken the first step in showing you are able to take on that responsibility by asking for advice first. Good for you! You have ended up in a good place here. We have some knife collectors and even knifemakers here that are your age. You will not be flamed or belittled here in any way.

That Uzi Defender you have your eye on is really cool looking. I doubt you could purchase it yourself and would need a parent to help with the purchase. Have you talked to your parents about your interest in knife collecting? Do they know you have found the knife network and have posted here? If I were you I would show this thread to a parent and see what they think about it. I for one like to see younger people taking an interest in collecting as it insures the future of our hobby. We just want to make sure you get started on the right foot. Feel welcome, because you are.

Glad to here you are having no trouble with anyone

Old 10-17-2005, 04:25 PM
Registered

wow everyone is so nice here 0_0 i expected like...GTFO KID and ####....no my parent dont know they probably wont care,there cool about stuff like this...ill tellem and stuff....or ic an get my brother to order it if i give him 80 bucks but illsee how it goes over them

i wish switchblades werent banned in the US

Last edited by Lotion; 10-17-2005 at 04:43 PM.
Old 10-17-2005, 05:36 PM
Skilled

they're not, just in some states. Don't know about your state, but I believe they are there. Now up here in Canada, they are proibited everywhere.

Trenton

Old 10-17-2005, 06:10 PM
Registered

ok so out of folders, what are the easiest to flip open?linerlocks? and how do linerlocks work? like how to flip them out? and button? lever?

hehe my moms chill with it,
im really into getting one of these uzis
http://cgi.ebay.com/SALE-NEW-Awesome...QQcmdZViewItem
or a kabar
http://cgi.ebay.com/Ka-bar-1283-D2-E...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by Lotion; 10-17-2005 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:10 AM
Skilled

Hey, I have an idea....why don't you learn to make your own knife! You will find lots of info here to help you...and you can always ask us questions when you get stuck. It really dosent take many tools to make one.

Then you will have a knife to be proud of!

Regarding the urban enviroment and maybe wanting a knife for defense.....this is what I have to say: First off, a knife or any other tool for self defense can be turned on you very quickly if you are not traind to use and retain it....this can be a big problem as you could imagine. If your concern is self defense I would suggest to you to talk to your folks about training in some form of martial art...there may even be a self defense class at your local community center or school.

Reg: Liner locks....this refers to the blade locking device.

You could get a kit knife...this will also help you understand how a knife works and is built.
Let us know how you make out.
Mace

www.laurelrockforge.com

"Ain't nothing more useless than a dull knife or a short piece of rope"
Old 10-18-2005, 10:40 AM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Am I the only one here wondering why any self-respecting 13 year old would call themselves "lotion," and then come to a knife site asking advice on how to break multiple laws?

We've all heard about kids buying knives on the freakin' Interweb and then getting in trouble.

Or we've at least heard the hype.

jloose.com

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, hunting knife, knife, knives, pocketknife, switchblade