MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

Old 08-26-2005, 10:44 PM
Master

liner lock lock face

hope i can ask this so people can understand it....... on a liner lock does the lock face have to be recesed like in Rays tutorial or could the entire back of the blade be flat except for the lock face being at the 10 degrees?

thanks bill

Old 08-27-2005, 05:51 AM
Skilled

The back of the tang can be made either way as long as your design works. Just make sure you still have enough room for the detent ball to ride on the tang without slipping off. I had some problems with this when I first started making knives.

Bill

Old 08-27-2005, 08:40 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

I suppose it could be accomplished either way but it doesn't seem like a good idea to me. I've never tried it so I may be wrong about this but it seems that you would lose a lot of the built in 'adjustability' of the liner lock by not putting the angle on the tang. When the lock bar rests against the ramped face of the tang there may be some slight wear over time. If there is any wear then the lock bar will move a little further across the tang face and the lock remains tight.

Putting the angle on the face of the lock bar seems like it would allow the lock bar to engage the lock face somewhere in the middle just fine but it seems to me it would engage at just that one point. If the lock had enough wear on it to move past that point it would swing past that position on the flat tang face and create a wide gap and the blade would be loose. If the lock bar were able to engage the tang properly at the far side of the blade instead of somewhere in the middle then when the lock got worn (if that evere happened) the blade would get loose and the lock would again fail to self adjust.

That's all just guess work. Perhaps a more useful thing to do here is simply ask you why you feel like you even need to ask that question? Are you having trouble grinding the tang? Perhaps we should try solving the problem you really have rather than trying to create solutions to a problem
you may not need to have ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-27-2005, 01:14 PM
Master

i didnt mean not having the blade have the 10 degrees i just meant not having the slant recessed in the blade but in line with where the stop pin hits the blade.

bill

Old 08-27-2005, 01:52 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

OK, in that case just watch for what Bill Vining told you and it should work out fine....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-27-2005, 03:21 PM
Master

thanks alot guys

Old 09-02-2005, 08:51 AM
Enthusiast

It should work out fine...
I'm working on one now where the design was originally like that. It turned out when closed, the handle scales did not cover the tang of the blade...something to watch out for. Otherwise, it should work fine.
~Brian

Tags
blade, knife, knives