MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 10-15-2004, 05:01 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to hammerdownnow
Way out of my league, but I would not mind running across one in an old box at the flea market....hee hee!

Old 10-18-2004, 03:01 PM

Well, the auction ended with no bids at all and the seller simply re-listed the knife with all the same terms etc. I don't think the owner really wants to sell it - just hoping somebody with wander along and foolishly give him what he wants for it. That does happen but probably not in the rarefied world of antique Bowie knives because it's such a small world of collectors.
I did find out that the knife was appraised at a value much lower than the minimum bid of $10,500 and the owner was not happy with the appraisal. Hey, "Go your own way" as sung by Fleetwood Mac many years ago. Signing off on this thread................BT

Avatar ~ custom crank case cover from 1969 Harley shovelhead chopper
Old 10-18-2004, 03:36 PM
Hall of Famer

As they say, something is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Altho this knife lacks the guard and lock of the classic sense of a folding bowie. There can't be that many ol' Zacks around. If I owned this knife I don't think I would let it go for a song. I have a modest collection of "folding bowies" I am of the camp that does not believe the need a folding guard to be in this catagory. From the old N.Y. coke bottles to Case folding hunters to the modern Buck 110 and Sharade LB7, a folding bowie designation should be a large single blade folder with a clip or spearpoint.

Old 10-18-2004, 03:52 PM

Roc,
I understand your point about classifying this knife. I too believe it is certainly valuable. But how valuable? Agreed something is worth only what someone will pay for it. Given that, if money was no object - what would you pay for this knife? What would be a price that would feel right for you in order to add this admittedly very cool antique knife to your collection? Seriously, no foolin.' I don't collect these so I can't find a figure in my head. I can only think in terms of "If I bought it for X, could I sell it for Y and move on?" Since I don't 'want' it I don't think I can be objective about what I would pay for it if a) I wanted it and b) money was not an issue. But you do want it so how would you figure out what you'd be willing to pay and, more to the point, what would you pay?
BT

Old 10-18-2004, 04:20 PM
Hall of Famer

Aww Buddy, now ya went and stopped my roll by agreeing with me and trying to stay on topic. Not that that would stop me, so here is a pic of what would fit on the screen of my 1940-60 collection of Modern Folding Bowies. Included is an after market buck switch blade, far left, that was made in a machine shop in Kentucky before it burned down in the early 90's. I consider all these to be "Folding Bowies" If anyone disagrees, I would love to here any thoughts or ideas on the subject. What about that "Daddy Barlow" in the center?

Album pic (click here)

Old 10-19-2004, 02:20 AM

Roc,
That's an interesting collection, and if you added the Taylor knife to it I think you'd have............a nice collection of folding jack-knives.
Like this:

On the other hand, if those are all folding Bowies, then what is this? :confused:

This Hoffritz knife is 12 1/4" OAL and the blade is 7 1/2" long. It's a modern folding Bowie knife, isn't it?

However, the question is, what would the hammerdownnow dude pay for that Taylor knife if, for example, he had up to 12 grand to burn. How much of that 12K would you feel comfortable spending to put that incredible Gen. Taylor folder in the center of your collection?

OK, here's a clue: the answer is a number between 1 and 12,000.

All in good fun, Roc. Hope you aren't getting irritated with me. By the way, that Hoffritz blade is made in Germany and last time I checked around, similar ones were selling for somewhere between $65 and $80. Amazing isn't it? That thing is really a pretty stout knife, scary sharp, has a good lock and that stag is classier than a lot of stuff you get these days. I think is was made in the 70s. In fact, I'll sell it to you for a lot less than that Gen. Taylor knife would cost you. You could add it to your 'folding Bowie' collection. It'd fit right in, don't cha think?
BT

Old 10-19-2004, 11:07 AM

Guess what? As I metioned above, this knife was re-listed on gunbroker.com for the third consecutive time with no changes ( http://www.gunbroker.com/auction/Vie...?Item=24444958 ) AND now appears on eBay at this link:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=2278333998
The eBay listing shows no particular starting bid required but there is a reserve (probably $10,500 but who knows). Watching the bidding on eBay may give an indication of the knife's value. Current bid (first and only bid so far) is $800.
Old 10-19-2004, 03:31 PM
Hall of Famer

To answer your question. I would have to say no, I would not pay that much for it, but I would try to get that much for it. 6K sounds like a nice round investment price. I think ebay is evolving. No one thinks you have to jump on an item, or it will be gone forever anymore. I could speculate that this item is being watched and desired and will end up in the hands of someone who wants it, for a fair price. Book value, perceived value and laying out the jack are three different things. I am a duffer who must rely on the opinion of real experts. More than once I have proven to myself, a little knowlege is a dangerous thing. The Taylor commemratives is a name I had heard or read are the rarest of the rare. Worstenholm is a hot name right now. What other factors that are in play here to keep this knife from selling are behond me.
I like your pic. I wish I could cut and paste like that, altho that old Zack does look a little out of place in my low end collection. Again, the bowie designation for my jack knife collection is something I had heard or read and chose to embrace thru romance or just wishful thinking. I never really was thrilled be the Buck folders, they just seem to accumulate.
The Hoff looks like a fairly well made, affordable copy to have and to hold till a real one comes along.

Old 10-19-2004, 03:41 PM
Hall of Famer

fix text

Hype is an interesting thing. Sometimes the limit to one's imagination can be stretched.
Folding Bowie?

Last edited by hammerdownnow; 10-19-2004 at 03:58 PM.
Old 10-19-2004, 09:03 PM

Roc,
Re 'hype' - that Rare IXL Civil War Folding Bowie Knife certainly looks old, authentic etc., and kind of like a farmer's knife, used for slicing up watermelons and cantelopes!

OK, you win. Who the heck can really say what's a Bowie and what isn't, especially a folding one. Let's wait 'till Flayderman's book arrives and read his definition again. It appeared in, I think it was the most recent BLADE in a letter to the editor, and sounded very reasonable and inclusive to me. One of the definitions I read recently that has stuck in my mind was "any knife designed for both hunting and fighting." What do you think about that?

Concerning that specific knife, I guess I wouldn't pay anything for it. It may be rare but it doesn't turn me on at all. Have to be honest about it.

I sent and e-mail to Alex about the possibility of adding an 'antique knife' forum. Posts like this one and others like it would then have a home. But it shouldn't be one moderated by an 'authority' who says what's right and wrong. It should be a place for friendly free-ranging discussions like we're having, lots of pictures and such. Would you be interested in such a thing?
BT

PS: Glad you like that picture of your collection with the Z. Taylor knife in it! Thought you would. It ain't that hard to do. It's just a photoshop thing using their 'lasso' tool mainly. You probably saw this one - it's my favorite example to date. http://www.fototime.com/28954F7C64061CA/orig.jpg

Old 10-21-2004, 06:25 AM
Hall of Famer

Quote: "any knife designed for both hunting and fighting."

Great definition. In that case the buck 110 would fit that to a tee. Not only has it been said that the Buck 110 has skinned more deer than any other knife in the last 50 years, it has also been the weapon of choice of outlaw bikers everywhere. (if of course, you discount the ballpeen hammer). Like the teeth chatter rachet sound of the navajas of old and the racking of a 12 gauge shot gun, the sound of a Buck locking into place is one of those attention getting sounds that makes one snap to attention.

J. Loose and the boys over at Historical inspiration don't seem to mind talking about the antique stuff. They seem to enjoy batting around the topic of good vrs. evil.
Antique Bowie

I like that pic of the jet fighters. I do have my favorite that stares at me with vacant eyes during my morning coffee. (sorry honey) Oh yeah and that that pic on the coffee cup you gave me.

click4pic

Old 10-21-2004, 06:52 PM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerdownnow
J. Loose and the boys over at Historical inspiration don't seem to mind talking about the antique stuff. They seem to enjoy batting around the topic of good vrs. evil.
Good... Evil... there never really is one without the other...

jloose.com

Old 10-27-2004, 04:41 PM

eBay bidding ended on this knife with 'reserve not met.' High bid was only $2,610. No bids at all on the other site. The 'market' has spoken!
BT
Old 10-27-2004, 05:01 PM
Hall of Famer

Yes, and the market is driven by the current economy. Godzilla willing it will be different this time next year. We will have to make note to check this during better times. In the 4 years that I have been watching the market has steadily declined.

Tags
blade, knife, knives, pocketknife