MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 04-07-2004, 01:14 PM
Skilled

friction folder help

Alright a short while back i posted a friction folder i made out of and antler tine. I am planning to make a few more. My question is what is the best/easiest way to make the slot in the antler? THe one i made i used a dremmel tool. I figured there may be a better way and I am looking for some input! All thoughts welcomed.

Thanks

Ross
Old 04-07-2004, 02:04 PM
Hall of Famer

I mounted a sawsall blade ina handle per Gene Chapman

Get Gene's book it makes it all clear

Old 04-07-2004, 09:29 PM
Master

i first used a cut off wheel in a air grinder - but it made me too nervous. was worried i'd get the slot not perpendicular to the pivot hole. so i made up a fixture to hold the antler after i drilled the pivot hole. this is bolted in my mill table- takes about 10 to 15 minutes after the hole is drilled- kind of hard if you don't have a mill. a much easier way is to cut the antler in half, then make a spacer the same thickness of the blade and use two pins [ one in the far end, and one in the middle ] to put it back togeather. the liner is like the top of a jack knife. the only hard part is drilling the pin hole straight. what i did [ if i can explain it ] is cut the liner just a little bigger than the antler. clamp a piece of steel in your drill press vise leaving about 2" sticking out. under this, use a vise grips to clamp the liner and antler togeather [ at a right angle to the vise ] . this way there is a flat surface to drill into. after the frist hole is drilled, put a pin in it so it doesn't shift when the second hole is drilled. to stop it from flexing down when drilling, take a 2 x4 , drill a 1/4" hole in it, put a bolt with nut on it for adjustment for height, stick it in the hole, slide it under the antler. hope this helps. paul

http://www.phforge.com

Old 04-07-2004, 11:18 PM
Guru

Ross, I have done it every way mentioned here and I still keep going back to my Dremel. I have been doing quite a few lately for customers(working on 8 right now).I do like the split antler method because it does solve some problems and does allow for some more artistic ventures like fileworked backspacers.The problem with the split is it doesn't always look very period and that the extra work generally requires a higher selling price. Many of my customers just prefer a simple one piece design. I use the larger reinforced cutoff wheels and it goes pretty quick.Dremel also sells a small (about 1") saw blade.Never tried it, mostly because it looked a little unforgiving in a hand held tool.Hope this helps.Dave
Old 04-08-2004, 10:35 AM
Master

dave, i agree and also disagree. it does look somewhat more period - but if you brown or blue the liner " I " think it still looks good- but that's just one persons opinion. if you are going to cut the slot by hand it takes quite a bit of time. then using a liner is probably quicker. also, by learning the liner method, one can go on to making it into a spring for holding it open, or even making lock backs. but then again, if you're just looking for the primative look, putting a slot in is better; and if you've mastered a way of doing it with an abrasive wheel, what would be the quickest way
if i was going to use the wheel, i'd use a die grinder with a wheel
they're bigger diameter- but then you'd need an air supply. like dave said, there's many ways to do it- just depends on what kind of equipment you have, and what " look" you want. paul

Old 04-08-2004, 08:20 PM
Guru

Your right Paul, I didn't think of coloring the liners.That would look good.I haven't tried one with liners yet, but I think you have inspired me to try one.Thanks my friend.Dave
Old 04-08-2004, 08:46 PM
Master

dave, i'm so busy right now- but maybe i can figger out a way to post pictures and show a few i made. if you can post a picture, please do. what part of florida you in ? we had a condo for about 6 years over in daytona beach- just sold it last year though. paul

Old 04-08-2004, 09:27 PM
Guru

Paul, I am about an hour and a half south right off A-1-A.Dave
Old 04-08-2004, 10:11 PM
Skilled

Wow,

Thanks guys, Paul you explained what you meant just fine and I follow what you said.

I agree with Dave coloring the liners would be slick!!

A lot to think about now, I have three or four to make up so i may try a few different, one with the saw method(sweany), one more shot with the dremel! One full cut with the liner.

If i can i will post some pics when they are done but it wont be for a while for sure!!!

Thanks again

Ross
Old 04-09-2004, 02:39 PM
Hall of Famer

Slotting Antler

I was going to post earlier but was on a mini vacation.

This is a method of slotting antler using Sawsall recipicating saw blades in a handle.

I have made my own saws and groove scrapers out of precision flat stock O1 tool steel and files with the teeth ground off.

The antler holder is homemade from O1 roundstock. Two ears stick in each side of a predrilled hole in the antler. The holder is clamped in a vise.

Hope this helps. I wear a dust mask when working with antler.

Gene Chapman
Oak and Iron Publishing
www.oakandiron.com/
Old 04-09-2004, 03:59 PM
Hall of Famer

OH yeah, I made a "ONE" tooth saw out of a sawzall blade too. THat thing is just right for putting the curve in the back of the slot.

IIRC that's one of Gene's tricks too.

Did I mention Gene has books

Old 04-09-2004, 04:35 PM
Hall of Famer

Have books, will accept money

Gene Chapman
Oak and Iron Publishing
www.oakandiron.com/
Old 04-09-2004, 10:24 PM
Skilled

Talking

Thanks for the pic gene! I like the holder in the vise.

Looks like your antler and iron book would be the one for me i may just have to pick one up to read over. What a great concept accepting money for books.

Ross
Old 04-09-2004, 10:40 PM
Guru

Ross, Gene did an excellant job on those books.I have a couple.Some neat tips.Dave

Tags
blade, knife, pocketknife