MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Community Discussion Boards > Knife Network Community

Knife Network Community TKN is all about excellence and sharing info. Our 'other' lives are also filled with stories, events, and opinions. This forum is an opportunity to discuss outside interests, personal experience, things that make us happy and things that don't!

Old 10-18-2005, 02:33 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.Arthur Loose
Am I the only one here wondering why any self-respecting 13 year old would call themselves "lotion," and then come to a knife site asking advice on how to break multiple laws?

We've all heard about kids buying knives on the freakin' Interweb and then getting in trouble.

Or we've at least heard the hype.
Thanks you!!! I am glad that I am NOT the only one here concerned!! I am just concerned. Like I said, your request put up HUGE red flags for me!!

Look, I have been collecting knives for 31 years; since I was 8. But never in my young years did I ask for a knife for self-defense!! My Mom got me started, and I have been carrying knife for as many years; EXCEPT for at school. I would only carry a knife when my Mom and I did outdoorsy things.
Old 10-18-2005, 02:43 PM
Registered

ok 1, i looked through jersey laws, nothing says i cant cary a knife...i think....and im lotion because "It puts the lotion on its skin. It does this whenever it is told, or else it gets the hose again"
Old 10-18-2005, 03:02 PM
Skilled

I would like to think our young friend "Lotion"(wondering about the name myself) here is just a good old red blooded American boy who is starting to take an interest in knives and that he might be using the "defense" thing as a bridge to talk to us about them.

I remember flicking knives open when I was his age and wanting a switchblade so bad I could taste it. I think the "cool factor" has a lot to do with it.

J. Loose makes a good point about laws....Lotion, you should look into the knife laws in your area...you sure dont want to get in any kind of trouble.
Mace

www.laurelrockforge.com

"Ain't nothing more useless than a dull knife or a short piece of rope"
Old 10-18-2005, 03:33 PM
Skilled

I dont know about your state, but you need to be 18 to purchase a knife. I believe that is because a minor cannot carry a knife legally, though I am not sure.

This put up huge red flags for me, too. Someone who is 13 shouldnt be wanting or needing a knife that has a push-button opener, or is geared toward inflicting the greatest tactical advantage in a combat situation.
Old 10-31-2005, 01:17 AM
Steel Addict

Send a message via Yahoo to nozh_scrap
This threw up red flags for me too, but you know what... I was 13 once too, and I did fantasize about the day I'd maybe have to use one in a fight situation. Mace was right... the cool/intimidation factor has alot to do with it. I think every one of us thinks about self defense with a knife from time to time, and it's a prime reason for some makers to even be in business.

Lotion, I would advise you to collect knives if you are interested, keep a small pocketknife for daily use, and leave the rest of your collection at home.

If you're THAT worried about self defense, forget the knife (the consequenses of using a knife in a fight outweigh the benefits...trust me) and please visit a good boxing gym, MMA (mixed martial arts) school, or a kickboxing/muay thai gym. They will not only teach you how to fight, they will strengthen your character.

Good luck Lotion.

Old 11-03-2005, 03:50 PM
Enthusiast

Nozh is right

I remember as a kid having knives, got my first one at 5 and was taught to respect them. I always went through the self defence part at about the same age but got started in martial arts and learned quickly that it was much better to fight bare handed. By the time someone could even pull out a blade the fight was over. Trainning many years I learned that I could be worse bare fisted than any way else AND LEGALLY! I have 6 kids now from 23 in the military to 8 at home and They all have the blades of their choice (my 8 year old loves swords and has a short one(It stays in the gun safe except when I supervise). The point I am trying to make is for self defence you cannot do any better than real martial arts training and fast feet. I would rather run from a fight and be called a coward than seriously hurt someone. Love and enjoy blades but for defence go through martial arts training, then you will learn to actually be able to use one if needed and find it is not. Good luck

PS, they are cheaper and more fun to make than buy

Old 11-03-2005, 11:12 PM
Skilled

Lotion, We have not heard from you in a while...please let us know if we have helped you. This thread seems to continue, and you should be a part of it.
Mace

www.laurelrockforge.com

"Ain't nothing more useless than a dull knife or a short piece of rope"

Tags
blade, fixed blade, forge, hunting knife, knife, knives, pocketknife, switchblade