MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > The Outpost

The Outpost This forum is dedicated to all who share a love for, and a desire to make good knives, and have fun doing it. We represent a diverse group of smiths and knifemakers who bring numerous methods to their craft.

Old 08-19-2004, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Joe said, "They are very special items, our knives. I know several people that can be identified by the knife they carry, Gerber Gators, Old Timers, Sod Busters. Grandad was never too particular about the brand but he always had a knife."
You know, guys like Joe's Grandad, probably like most of our Grandfathers, were guys that brand names didn't impress just on the basis of a prestigious name. They grew up through depression era and WWII times, when what worked made the difference, not whose name was on it. It wasn't that they had anything against the Brand name companies, but what they were after was a knife that would WORK, for what they needed one for. "Pretty is as pretty does," so to speak.

We were lucky to have been exposed to those of that generation. They were/are (for those who are still with us) tougher than a piece of whip leather, and reflect a quality of life that is sadly lacking today in many (not all, but many) of those having grown up in our instant, modernistic, technologically oriented world. And this isn't to knock technology. Technology and the internet give us a forum with which we can communicate, share and learn, and I'd much rather have surgery in a hospital that was backed by the technology of the information age as opposed to the technology of tha iron age. General anesthesia is much preferable to a shot of whisky, a bullet to bite on, and four strong men to hold you down. Can I get an Amen?

Today brand names mean something to us, and in the knife world, names mean either quality or collectability. Back then when our Grandfathers were young, a good knife was a good knife because it stood up to the rigors they could put it to. To be sure, out of that grew the brand names with which we became familiar, but many times we bought our first Old Timer or Sod Buster or whatever because some old guy we knew and respected carried one and seemed to like it.

Here's to the Old Timers, both the knives, and those who carried them (and our country) through times much tougher than many have gone through. Hats off to ya!

Last edited by Dana Acker; 08-19-2004 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-19-2004, 04:23 PM
Guru

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 08-19-2004, 08:42 PM
Master

I own 2 pocket knives that belonged to my late Granfather..
Both were heavily used and together probably arent worth $10.00 in
todays world..
They probably cut more bailing twine, feed sacks than most of us have seen in our
lifetime
Never new him to not carry one

My first i bought when with him at a Horse Auction, a Pakastan $1.00 special..
Hey but it was a lockback with imitation pearl handle slabs

On a side note i always heard my dad and Uncles talk about the pocket
knives that came with a pair of Tuff Skin Jeans
Anyone got a idea what they looked like?

Old 08-23-2004, 05:45 AM
Enthusiast

Send a message via AIM to Danaan Henry
My first knife was a little 3 bladed pin knife. It was sharp though and everyday I would beg my mom to bring it out of hiding so i could go carve on little sticks. I swear i think I cut myself with that thing everyday on accident but i never complained cause i knew if i did my mom was going to snatch it away. But I guess this really wasn't but about 12 years ago so not that much at all. Since that time I had collected every knife I could find. I have this really cool pocket knife with a spoon and fork attachment on it. But my pride and joy is my U.S.M.C. Kabar.

Danaan

The Bloody Elbow Forge
Old 08-26-2004, 09:49 PM
Enthusiast

Days of ...

Dana - Big Congratulations to you and your lovely bride. May you share many great things as you journey through life together.

Old 08-27-2004, 12:58 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Dana:
Did you get Hitched???

God Bless
Mike

Old 08-27-2004, 08:13 AM

Dana, congratulations on your marriage!

and she still lets you play with pitch in the kitch???????

WOW!

VV
0]
Old 08-27-2004, 08:54 AM

Lets see, I was probably about six or seven and my first knife was a cheap folder with white plastic handles. I don't even know if it had a name. Bought it with saved allowance from extra chores. This knife would not hold an edge for anything and I would try to sharpen it on a rock, brick or whatever could be found in the woods.

When our family would visit my grandfather on the weekends I would try to talk him into sharpening it for me as his knives were always scary sharp. If you looked at 'em too hard you would get cut. He would say "boy, that knife don't have any metal in it, let me see." He would feel the edge and then breath on the blade. "yep, no metal in this knife" and with that he would give it back.

I was bummed and always wanted a knife with "good metal". One like my grandfather....a Case single blade folder.

VV
Old 08-27-2004, 12:34 PM

Mike, yep, I got married back in July.

Clark, good story. Did you ever get a Case folder?

Old 08-27-2004, 01:15 PM

No Dana, I never got the Case folder.

When I was twelve, I went to work with my uncles as a helper laying brick. My dad says "don't pay him anything, he needs to work." Man did I work! Mixing mud and carrying brick for atleast ten hours a day. They ended up paying me fifty cents an hour My cousins I worked with all had lock blade knives, so you know where I spent my first weeks paycheck!

Lock Blade, baby!

Brass bolsters and dark wood handles. I oiled and opened it a million times I bet....got it so slick it was almost as fast as a switchblade. I carried that knife everywhere, even to church, up until I was around seventeen. I had almost forgot about that knife until reading this thread.......What a trip.

VV
Old 08-27-2004, 06:34 PM

If you're lucky enough to still have your first one, take good care if it. May not have any collector's value, but the older you get, I guarantee it will increase in personal value. If it's not already, it will soon become priceless.

Old 08-28-2004, 11:44 PM

Ack! I'm caught up in Nolstalgia lane! My first was a Swiss Army Tinker. Got it when I first went into Scouts. Only a few years back though, so I really can't talk about milk delivered to your door, or records. My only complaint is the music nowadays. 99% of it sucks. At least you guys had Led Zepplin, Hendrix, The Beatles, The Who, and I could list a billion more. We have boy bands and ditzy girls like Jessica Simpson.
Old 08-30-2004, 05:51 AM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Congradulations Dana!!!
Best of wishes to you and your new Bride!

God Bless
Mike

Tags
blade, fixed blade, folding knife, forge, hunting knife, knife, knives, pocketknife, switchblade