MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 08-03-2003, 07:31 PM
Registered

Send a message via Yahoo to InvisShadow
Just a newbie wanting some help.

Okay. this is my first post here, and I hope this is in the right forum. I found this place when I typed "knife forum" on google. I was wondering if anyone here could answer a question I had.

First, I'm 19, so I'm legal to own a knife.
Secondly, I want a small knife for self-defense. I want the kind of knife (or at least, something very similar to the kind that) they used in the movie The Bourne Identity. If you've seen that movie, you should know what knife I mean. It was a small push dagger, under 3 inches in the blade, with a curved black handle. All of the knives I've seen online are single sided, and/or considerably larger than that. I was hoping maybe someone here could point me in the right direction. If so, thanks. If not, that's okay. I know I'm making a rather odd request.
Old 08-03-2003, 07:42 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

First, welcome to the CKD. Second, sounds like you want a commercially made knife so you might check out the Cold Steel company. I know they make push daggers. Some of us make push daggers too, I imagine.

Just to be on the safe side, I'll mention that while you are old enough to own a push dagger you must not, under any circumstances, ever carry one - especially one with a double edged blade! Daggers of any kind are illegal to carry in any jurisdiction I have heard of. Aside from that, many places have laws that specifically outlaw push daggers of any description. Even in the places that don't have such laws you are likely to face a very real legal problem if you are found carrying one. It's just a little too scary for the sheep people ....

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 08-03-2003, 11:21 PM
Registered

So I can own one.. but I can't carry/use it. gotta love the logic there. Well, thanks for the info. I wouldn't have known that. I guess I'll just stick to my regular pocketknife then.
Thanks again.
Old 08-03-2003, 11:27 PM
Skilled

Dude before you get all discouraged take look here.......http://www.customknifedirectory.com/...lcome.htm~main

you may end up finding something much better.

Fear causes hesitation, hesitation will cause your greatest fear to come true.

Old 08-04-2003, 12:03 AM
Registered

nah.. you must have misunderstood me. sorry. I'm not discouraged. I just figured rather than risk legal problems, since I was planning on having it concealed in my jacket. (i was hoping to have the sheath sewn in) From what was said about not being allowed to carry one, I'm pretty certain a modified jacket holster would be even more so illegal.

I did check out Cold Steel's site, and they do have one that looks good. it's three inches total length, which is about what I want. everything else seemed at least five. So thanks again for your time.
Old 08-04-2003, 10:46 AM
Skilled

You are treading a very dangerous line here, regardless of the legality of the knife the intended use defines it as a weapon and therefore illegal.

Simply asking for help in committing an illegal act makes that person an accomplice if charges are laid.

I would advise you to recondsider.

Old 08-06-2003, 11:45 PM
Registered

yeah. it was a bit of a pipe dream anyways. It's not like I'd ever use it for anything other than self defense, and the guy who'd be fighting me would be breaking laws as well, but I'd get in trouble for having a weapon. Oh well. Laws have a purpose, so I'll just abide by them.

Thanks for your help. (the mods can lock this now)
Old 08-08-2003, 06:53 PM
Registered

Quote:
It's not like I'd ever use it for anything other than self defense
Unfortunately there are many people, including those who pass and enforce laws like the ones against daggers, whose aim is precisely to make self-defense illegal. We are not far behind countries like Australia and Britian, where a person can be arrested for carrying any inanimate object if its purpose is to be used as a weapon for self-defense.
Old 08-09-2003, 09:55 AM

Send a message via AIM to J.Arthur Loose Send a message via Yahoo to J.Arthur Loose
Say what you will about politics in Vermont, but it is written into our state constitution that we have the right to own & carry weapons *for self defense*. You don't even need a permit for concealed carry although you are not allowed to go into the courts, and federal building or... the local bar!

Vermont consistently places in the top three safest states in the nation.

Personally, in the age of the firearm, I question the wisdom of using a knife for self-defense. I've read studies that show that a knife is almost as likely to be used *against* you at some point as it is to be used successfully in your own defense. As a martial artist for over ten years ( you guys didn't know, eh? ) I think I'd have a good chance taking one away from an assailant or at least cutting him with it while in his own hands.

...but push daggers can be beautiful objects with intriguing shapes. I've been meaning to make some.

jloose.com

Old 08-12-2003, 11:50 PM
Skilled

Maybe I'm waxing philosophic tonight (must be the full moon), but I somewhat agree with Jon, without the martial arts point of view. A knife is the last line of defense if you are threatened or attacked. Your first is your brain. Your second is your mouth. Your third is your feet (as in running).

I never meant to bring this up here at all, but I know first-hand how difficult it is to kill someone with a knife. Vietnam. 1971, when I was only a couple of years older than the original poster. 'Nuff said.

But my primary point is that knives were first invented by humans as tools; to strip a carcass or build a shelter. The weapon part came later. If you're looking to carry a knife only because you think it will make you less vulnerable or tougher, you're looking at knives the wrong way. They are tools, they are art, they are the quintessential symbol of humanity's heritage and what sets us apart from creatures who carry cutting edges in their jaws or their paws.

THAT, to me, is the beauty of knives.

-Frank J Warner
Old 08-13-2003, 01:16 AM
Master

Quote:
Originally posted by Frank J Warner

But my primary point is that knives were first invented by humans as tools; to strip a carcass or build a shelter. The weapon part came later. If you're looking to carry a knife only because you think it will make you less vulnerable or tougher, you're looking at knives the wrong way. They are tools, they are art, they are the quintessential symbol of humanity's heritage and what sets us apart from creatures who carry cutting edges in their jaws or their paws.

THAT, to me, is the beauty of knives.

-Frank J Warner

...And that, to me, is the beauty of knives as well. Very very well put Frank.

-Darren

Visit the Forge Gallery - forge building resource pages
ForgeGallery.EllisCustomKnifeworks.com
Old 08-13-2003, 07:26 PM
Registered

Quote:
If you're looking to carry a knife only because you think it will make you less vulnerable or tougher, you're looking at knives the wrong way.
I fail to see the logic in ruling out any object that might be used for legitimate self-defense. Knives might not be the best choice, but it makes no sense to say that knives should not be considered. Hammers and baseball bats weren't designed to be weapons either, but I would sure as hell use one of those if that is what is available to me when attacked.

Tags
blade, knife, knives, pocketknife