MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Tool Time

Tool Time Let's talk shop. Equipment, Tips & Tricks, Safety issues - Post it here.

Old 10-15-2012, 09:27 AM
Enthusiast

belt grinder motor

after being out of knifemaking for some years, i am thinking of getting get back into it..i am thinking of building my own grinder but want to get opinions on motors, i am thinking of a 1.5hp TEFC motor but what rpm should i get? most are 1725 but i think the last grinder i made was 3450rpm i will also have it in a 56 frame so it will bolt on the grinder and have the drive wheel bolt right to the spindle...so, what is the right rpm motor to get? any suggestions would be great.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:01 PM
Skilled

s Mcfall...With a 1.5 HP motor, you would have enough power to use a step pully where you could get higher RPM's if needed. My Grizzley has a 1 hp motor at 1725 RPM's and I have no problem at all with it...plenty of both power and speed.
Old 10-15-2012, 01:32 PM
Enthusiast

Ed, not using a step pully, my grinder will be like a bader so the drive wheel will be mounted right to the motor spindle..i think i remember on the last one i made that the motor was a 3450 rpm but that was years ago and i am older now so im not really sure!
Old 10-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Hall of Famer

I would go with the 1750rpm motor, especially if you have an 8" or 10" drive wheel. If you go with the 3450rpm motor you could have a problem with overheating a heat treated blade and drawing the temperature too much especially with the finer grit belts.

Doug

Old 10-19-2012, 11:21 AM
Enthusiast

just wondering, does anyone that has a bader could tell me what rpm motor comes with it??
thanks.
Old 10-19-2012, 02:15 PM
Enthusiast

I have the bader bm2 and it has a 3450 motor but I put a 4"" drive wheel on it to slow it down.
MoblMec
Old 11-05-2012, 11:22 AM
Enthusiast

ok, so now im looking into a variable speed direct drive grinder, looking into a 3phase 1-1/2 to 2hp motor and a controller, a lttle more money (ok, alot more money) but i think it will be worth it being that i wont have to change drive wheels like my last one.
Old 11-05-2012, 12:34 PM
Living Legend

I have used an Uncle Al's grinder with a 1 1/3 HP motor for over 7 yrs. I have twice tried to stall it out and both times broke the belt. So IMHO anything over 1 1/3 HP wouldn't benefit me at all other then being able to break belts faster. And considering how much more expensive each 1 HP increase is I wonder why.

Maybe the grinder looks more impressive with a ferris wheel motor behind it.
Old 11-05-2012, 02:22 PM
Steel Addict

I am going through the same thing. I have it all figured out except the motor rpm. I am pretty sure I will use a step pulley. Grinders have been around a long time. Great Grandpa and old shop teachers all made them from scratch. They did the job for them. VFD's are nice but they are not a must have. They add about $400-500 to your cost, however your step pulley set up is about $100-150 so u can subtract that cost. The go to guy for motors is Wayne Coe he will help you in any way he can. He has been real helpful to me and very fast to respond. I suggest u talk to him he can also set you up w/ what ever u want for a good price. He suggested I go w/ the 1.5hp w/ lower rpm if I stay w/ the 4 step pulley.

http://http://www.waynecoeartistblacksmith.com/
Old 04-03-2013, 11:26 PM
Registered

I'm currently using a 5hp running 3450rpm. I haven't encountered too much heat as long as I don't use Aluminum oxide belts... I like the high speed and power. I find it gives me much better results at higher speeds as long as I'm using high quality belts.

Tags
back, bee, blacksmith, blade, building, forging, heat, knife, knifemaking, made, scratch