MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 02-11-2007, 10:49 AM

Send a message via AIM to huj
Talking oven help

Im a noob to the knifemaking world and i want to heat treat my knife so i want to make my own small wood buring oven to do it in and i just want to tips and ideas, all will be appreciated thanx
Old 02-11-2007, 11:19 AM
Hall of Famer

Hi huj,

Use the search option and look up "one brick forge" "micro forge" and "brake drum forge" and you should find a lot of threads discussing these topics. Also read the sticky's at the top of the Newbies Arena. Lots of good reading there too. Good luck!
Old 02-11-2007, 12:54 PM

thanx
Old 02-11-2007, 01:04 PM

i got alot of extra bricks around the back yard so i would prefer to make one out of brick
Old 02-11-2007, 01:20 PM
Steel Addict

Check out the blueprints section of iforgeiron.com

What kind of brick do you have?
It makes a difference.

My forge is made from a weber bbq grill lined with wood ash and an air pipe run through to the fire pit.

http://rpaynecreations.weebly.com/
Old 02-11-2007, 02:58 PM

i just have regular house bricks
Old 02-11-2007, 03:32 PM

also i need some advice on how to hold the knife in the fire
Old 02-11-2007, 05:34 PM
Hall of Famer

Question small wood burning oven

Could you expand on the wood burning oven, is this something that you already have or is it something that you want to build?

Anything that you will be burning wood/charcoal in to bring steel up to forging or heat treating temp is going to have to have some sort of forced air supply, just burning wood or charchoal will not do the trick. What I use for a solid fuel forge is basically like the brake drum forge but it is made out of charcoal grill. Your air supply doesn't have to be fancy. I have been using a double action hand pump that was designed to inflate rafts; it looks something like a bicycle tire pump on steroids. I've just replaced it with an electric powered pump that is ment to inflate rafts and balls and the like. I got it over E-bay and it was pretty cheap.

You will also need a refractory which you can make out of a mixture of sand, wood ashes, and clay kitty litter (preferably unused ). You can make the fire box side or bottom shot. Drill a hole for 1" black iron pipe in the side or the bottom of the forge. If you use the bottom it will have to have some sort of a grill to hold the wood or charcoal up off the bottom so that the air can circulate under it. If side shot, put the pipe in at a slightly downward angle so that it sticks just a little way into the fire box maybe about an inch off the bottom. Another way it build a bottom shot forge is to bring a piece of black pipe in through both sides of the frame just a little off the bottom. Drill 1/2" holes about every inch in the pipe so that they point up. Cap the end opposite the end that the air comes in with a removable cap so that you can use it as a clean out port. You should be able to find the correct proportions of the clay, sand, and wood ash to make the refractory on one of the blackingsmithing sites.

Just one point that needs to be made about safety. DON'T EVEN THINK ABOUT USING ANY GALVANIZED STEEL AROUND HIGH HEAT! Coating your lungs with zink fumes is an ugly way to die.

Doug Lester
Old 02-11-2007, 06:27 PM

im building it from scratch, and for the forced air i was thinking of drilling a hole in the side of the brick and sliding electrical conduit in and then take my air compressor and using in air nozzle and point it in the pipe and blowing the air in. and also i just want to know what is a refactory
Old 02-11-2007, 06:31 PM

lol and sorry but im really noob on this kind of subject, i mean i been reading about heat treating and all that but like the knowledgable language is kinda confusing (for example, side shot) so if u guys could kinda dumb it down a bit lol it would be great
Old 02-11-2007, 06:34 PM

so my idead is like a small brick box built on the ground outside with a brick in the front that i can slide in and out for access to the knife and in the back will be a litle opening towards the bottom and there will be a hole dug under the forge to put the solid fuel, so put knife in through front and put fuel in through back, also i still havent figured a way to hold the knife above the flame i made a basic drwaling of it in this link http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f8...0r0l/forge.jpg so all advice is appreciated

Last edited by huj; 02-11-2007 at 07:28 PM.
Old 02-11-2007, 09:36 PM

Don't use house brick. It will explode when heated to the temps you need to reach. Get some firebrick - usually yellow or white in color.
Suggest you do quite a bit more research and reading before you get started. Although knife making is alot of fun, it is wrought with very many disguised and hidden dangers that you need to be aware of before you get started. You'll find it much harder to do with missing fingers, hands, and for all practical purposes, impossible without you vision.
Learn the dangers you need to avoid and learn to be safe.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 02-11-2007, 09:59 PM

aw man, well i guess i have to let that idea go, but i dont want to buy those fire bricks they too exspensive i want something thats cheap and will work well with noobs

Last edited by huj; 02-12-2007 at 10:09 AM.
Old 02-11-2007, 11:24 PM
Super Moderator

Firebrick is not expensive; things that can injure or kill you are.

Conduit is not capable of withstanding heat. Bad idea. It could contain zinc which can poison you.

Before you rush into doing something like this, do your homework. Read up and understand what you can and can't do and why. If you don't understand that heating a house brick could cause it to explode then you're not educated enough to do heat treating. I'm not being negative, I'm being realistic.

There is a tremendous amount of science - and some art - that goes into proper heat treating. That sort of information is available for you if you'll just look for it.

Do it right or don't waste your time doing it at all.

Old 02-11-2007, 11:52 PM

yah i know ive expelled that idea all together and im just going to use a camp fire with lots of coal and use an air compressor with an air blowing nozzle to blow air to the fire, but im not sure if im supposed to put the knife in the hot coals or on top of the hot coals, well the fire bricks arent so expensive but the shipping is more than one brick, if i knew a place not on the internet that held em then i would buy them

Last edited by huj; 02-12-2007 at 10:12 AM.

Tags
blade, forge, forging, knife, knife making, knives