MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 05-12-2002, 10:19 AM
Plain ol Bill

Your new motor setup Ed

I let my old boss sucker me into going back to work till time to go to Atlanta so I have not been keeping up. Got today off but it will be the last day off till time to get on a plane. So how hard was the motor to wire up? Have you decided how you are going to mount the motor (under the table like we talked about?).
Old 05-12-2002, 12:44 PM
Ed Caffrey

Hi Bill!

I thought you had enough work!! Now you'll be doing two full time jobs! :cool:

I nearly messed up when wiring the motor.....but thank goodness I had enough sense to review what I had done before I plugged it in! I had the field and armeture wires reversed in the controller, and was trying to follow both the schematics on the motor and in the controller book at the same time. Once I realized it would be best to just follow one of the two, everything went smooth.
I still plan on making a hinged mount for under the bench....but it's gona be a bear to get that 135 lb motor up there! I'll figure something out though. Rob shipped the grinder on friday, and will be shipping the "rotary platen" sometime this coming week. What sucks is that I have guard drill this coming weekend, so I likely won't get everything up and running until sometime the following week!
I'm gona go with a 5" pulley on the motor and a 2 1/2" on the grinder..........which should max the SFP out at around 3,000, more than I need, but with the ability to dial it down.....why not!?

Thanks for all the insights and knowledge you have shared with me on the DC motors/controllers, it made all the difference in the world!