MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > KNet Classifieds :: For-Sale Forums > The Supply Center

The Supply Center What's Hot ... and where the deals are! Supplies are our specialty ...

Old 01-01-2005, 01:47 AM
Enthusiast

any body order from admiralsteel?

Im wondering if any body hear has ordered from admiralsteel? are the reputible?
what about service?

im still looking for a source for steel, and I think I found it, but I just want to make sure im not going to get ripped off.
thanks,
Joe

Old 01-01-2005, 11:01 AM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe H.
Im wondering if any body hear has ordered from admiralsteel? are the reputible?
what about service?

im still looking for a source for steel, and I think I found it, but I just want to make sure im not going to get ripped off.
thanks,
Joe
Joe,

Boy are you going to get a variety of responses on that one. I'll try and summarize.

1. I order from them and have always has great service and prompt delivery. Even on a special order of 3" wide s30v.

2. Their ATS34 'clean finish' has a grain pattern that WILL show up during final finishing. People have remarked on that for years (it seems) and that's just the way it is. I have a bunch and it works fine. You just don't want to go for a mirror finish.

3. They shear their stainless steel. So order a little extra on the width because the edges suck

4. The one batch of 1070 steel I bought had a grain pattern too. Really sweet appearance when you etch it.

5. Their online ordering system went 'online' and exposed everyones credit cards! Use the phone.

All in all they try hard and I use them.

Steve

Old 01-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Enthusiast

thanks for the advice. I like to order on the phone any way.
also, the stuff about the ATS34 does not bother me because im interested in the 1095 steel. which seems to be fairly good price.
thanks again

Last edited by Joe H.; 01-01-2005 at 11:47 AM. Reason: fix spelling
Old 01-01-2005, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
I've purchased from Admiral, with good success. I try to only speak with Terry Summers, who runs their "knife steel" division. There were a couple of instances where I tried to talk with someone else, and they copped an attitude with me......once I got in touch with Terry, and told him about it, he assures me that came to a screeching halt. But since I only talk with Terry now, I have no problems what so ever!

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 01-01-2005, 09:06 PM
Enthusiast

Joe,

I'm a new maker and on the other side of the planet (Australia). I ordered about 30 feet of stainless, 440c and 154cm from Admiral and I'm very happy with the service and their product.

I stayed away from their ats34 because of the comments on this forum re the pattern that shows up as mentioned by Steve.
Their packaging was superb, considering there was approx 30lb of steel in the bundle and the whole lot had to come so far.

I will definitely deal with them again.

Regards, John
Old 01-03-2005, 05:53 AM
Skilled

Most of my steel comes from Admiral. No problems and pretty fast shipping. I buy my O-1 from toolanddie.com just because it is SOOO much cheaper than anyone else.

Fear causes hesitation, hesitation will cause your greatest fear to come true.

Old 01-04-2005, 06:51 PM
Living Legend

I have only purchased one lot of steel from Admiral, and I'm also in Australia. I was happy with the service. The price can't be beat if ordering in large quantities, particularly and I asked that surface mail be used. Shipment arrived in the expected time frame. I'll be ordering from them again... in a couple of years when I use up all the steel they sent me ! Jason.

(Matthew 10.16)

Tags
knife