MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 03-21-2003, 09:16 AM
Enthusiast

Bader grinding a full tang surface totally flat

Okay, I'm having a problem. I am trying to use the flat platten on a Bader grinder to flatten the sides of full tang so I can attach the handle slabs but I can't seem to get it to go totally flat. There is a little bow in it where it is higher in the center (holding the tang vertical against the platten). I have checked the platten itself and it is flat, and I'm using spanking new belts, but I keep having this problem. Has anyone run across this? And if so, is there a solution?

Thanks!

Neil
Old 03-21-2003, 03:18 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Most steel isn't truly flat as it comes to us and that may be what you're seeing. Or maybe you're trying to say that in the process of attempting to flatten your tang you seem to be developing a high spot in the middle of the tang. If that's what you mean, the metal may be getting too hot as you grind it and it's warping, especially if it's thin material. Surely that high spot isn't showing up on both sides of the tang, is it? If it is, then check the thickness of the tang down it's whole length - you may be putting too much pressure on the butt end of the tang and grinding it thinner than the middle.

From what I understand, the tang is still straight and of even thickness but the center is just a little thicker. If that's the case, more grinding (careful of the heat) will eventually get rid of it. Tapering the tang would also do the job.

If neither of those ways seems like a fix for your situation, and if the high spot is very slight, then using a liner like the popular red fiber material and some epoxy will take care of it. Not how we'd like it to be but still as solid a handle as you would ever need.

If all of this is way off base, then tell us what metal you are using and the size of the tang area, the grit of your belts, and anything else that could help us find the problem...
Old 03-21-2003, 03:32 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
On my Square Wheel, the rollers at the top and bottom of the platen are slightly forward of the face of the platen, which caused the belt to grind a little more on the top and bottom when I was flat grinding. I added a piece of metal to the face of the platen (with the top and bottom of th metal rounded off). This way, the belt rides straight from the top of the platen to the bottom. No uneven grinding.

Maybe try a search for "sacrificial platen". You may find something there.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist
Old 03-21-2003, 08:34 PM
Steel Addict

Hi,
Not being really good with a grinder either I took the cowards way out.
I got a 9" disk and attached it to a 1 hp motor. I use this disk sander to flatten both my tangs and inside edge of handle material. Flat fits flat.
K & G , Frink, Koval etc all sell a nice disk. Tru-Grit sells a really nice complete outfit that has a tilting table for doing dove-tailed bolsters as well. I eventually mounted my motor on one of them.
Why 9"? Because a regular sheet of sandpaper cuts to fit it with small waste strips just right for my homemade block sander. I confess the dimensions of the block sander came after I realized I had a steady source of strips. I seem to use mostly 120 grit Klingspore. Just use repositionable spray adhesive from NAPA to hold the paper in place. One can seems to last about 3 years.
Enjoy, Ken
Old 03-22-2003, 02:28 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the info. I'll try some of the techniques suggested and let you know!

Neil
Old 03-22-2003, 04:28 PM
Steel Addict

not to change the subject too much, but Jamey, the wheels on your Wilton are mounted on concentric cams & can be adjusted behind the plane of your flat platen......

Frank Bradley

Old 03-22-2003, 07:22 PM

Location: Portal, GA - If you know where it is, you probably got a speeding ticket.
Send a message via AIM to Jamey Saunders Send a message via MSN to Jamey Saunders Send a message via Yahoo to Jamey Saunders
Well, now, there's something I had absolutely no idea about. Thanks!

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same of them." --John Wayne, in The Shootist

Tags
blade