MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Ed Caffrey's Workshop

Ed Caffrey's Workshop Talk to Ed Caffrey ... The Montana Bladesmith! Tips, tricks and more from an ABS Mastersmith.

Old 02-13-2015, 09:24 AM
Skilled

Simple hunter/utility w/ two tone buckeye

This is nothing fancy. I think the wood is pretty cool so I thought I'd post it up. This is a compact and light yet fully capable hunter/utility knife.

Specs:

Ground from 1/8" 80CrV2 steel, Rc 61-62
7 3/4" overall, 3 1/2" tip to scales, .120" at the ricasso w/ full distal taper
Filed thumb grip
Heavily rounded spine forward of the thumb grip for comfort
Stabilized naturally colored two-tone curly buckeye scales
1/8" black micarta pins
My signature file cut handle on the butt end
Black leather and stitched and tooled sheath with belt loop, also made by me

80CrV2 is a very fine grained steel that can be taken to a very thin edge while still maintaining toughness so it doesn't chip. This is ground thin with a convex edge. It as absolutely razor sharp and slices cardboard and sisal rope with ease.

All comments and discussion welcome.

You have nothing to fear but fear itself...........and bears.
Old 02-13-2015, 10:45 AM
Skilled

That's a great looking Knife. I am a huge fan of buckeye, especially if its burled. But I have never seen curly buckeye.

How thick is the handle on this knife? It looks like the scale edges taper to almost nothing
Old 02-13-2015, 02:39 PM
Steel Addict

Another beauty Mr. Doyle, but your going to have a hard time outdoing that blacked out hunter you posted not long ago. At least in my eyes.
Old 02-13-2015, 03:52 PM
Skilled

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdale View Post
That's a great looking Knife. I am a huge fan of buckeye, especially if its burled. But I have never seen curly buckeye.

How thick is the handle on this knife? It looks like the scale edges taper to almost nothing
Thanks for the comments Pal. I love buckeye too. First piece of seen with full curl like that. And two-tone to boot!

I roll my scale edges rounded right to the tang. I think it looks better and feels better in the hand. I don't like it when knives have flat spots on the edges of the scales. I shipped this out but it was about 3/8" thick at the front of the scales and about 5/8" at the butt end of the scales.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVPeterson View Post
Another beauty Mr. Doyle, but your going to have a hard time outdoing that blacked out hunter you posted not long ago. At least in my eyes.
Thanks Man! Yeah no comparison is it? I agree. I got curious long it would take me to make a simple straightforward knife. About a day and a half for this one, start to finish. That includes heat treating tempering and sheath. Not too bad a guess but no speed record.

You have nothing to fear but fear itself...........and bears.
Old 02-14-2015, 06:51 AM
Steel Addict

Your attention to detail is impressive, even on what you say is a "plain" knife.
Old 02-17-2015, 09:33 AM
Steel Addict

Really like that one, John! Especially like the way the handle matches from side to side. Often the color run won't match from side to side but you got that one pretty much spot on!

With every custom knife I build I try to accomplish three things. I want that knife to look so good you just have to pick it up, feel so good in your hand you can't wait to try it, and once you use it, you never want to put it down !
If I capture those three factors in each knife I build, I am assured the knife will become a piece that is used and treasured by its owner!

C Craft

Tags
belt, belt loop, blade, edge, handle, hunter, john, knife, knives, leather, made, micarta, post, razor sharp, scale, scales, sharp, sheath, simple, steel, tang, toughness, wood