MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 09-30-2015, 02:57 PM
Enthusiast

Hello Everyone, I'm new here. Thought I'd show some of my first work.

Here are my first three knives. I've made a few others from Mild Steel from Home Depot just for practice, but these are the first ones made form quality Steel. The Small Drop Point is CPM154, and the Straightback, and Tanto are both 1095. They are currently awaiting heat treat, handles and finishing. I think the Small knife will remain Skeletonized, but any suggestions on handle material for the other two?? I'm thinking OD Green G10 :cool:.

Sorry the picture isn't the best quality..
Old 09-30-2015, 06:10 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

Welcome to the forum! You will need to participate for a while before you can post pictures. Its a security thing to frustrate the spammers...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 11-02-2015, 12:24 AM
Enthusiast

The CPM154 is stainless steel and very difficult for a first time maker. The 1095 carbon steel is basic and not considered high quality because it rusts easily and usually requires a black coating.
It is your first time grinding?
Old 11-02-2015, 06:08 AM
Steel Addict

Pretty impressive grinds for starters.

Good idea to send out for h/t.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:55 AM
Enthusiast

Question

The CPM 154 blade steel is not supposed to be beveled (sharpened) before a stress relief cycle to prevent warping during the hardening process. After the austenitized steel is gets a cryogenic bath in liquid nitrogen the unsharpened blade blanks get a final tempering to reduce brittleness.
Old 11-02-2015, 09:17 AM
Steel Addict

Welcome to the pack Water.

Good looking blades for a beginner. Nice clean lines. The two bottom ones look like they will be real good user knives around the camp. You can't go wrong with eather of the steels you have chosen. I totally disagree about 1095 being not a high quality steel. It is a high carbon steel that stains easyer but can hold a great edge and is really easy to field sharpen. Literally millions of blades gave been made from it and it has time tested standing.

I agree with you on putting G10 scales on the top two. You might think about a camo g10 instead of just green though.

Keep up the grinding, your doing great

Erik
Old 11-02-2015, 09:33 AM
Skilled

Wow gorgeous grinds for your first knives. Keep it up!

Old 11-02-2015, 05:02 PM
Enthusiast

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnccutter View Post

I agree with you on putting G10 scales on the top two. You might think about a camo g10 instead of just green though.
The G10 is made of laminated fiberglass cloth soaked in resin, compressed, then baked. It is usually only available in black. Folding knives are best application for this material because it is lightweight.
DuPont makes Zytel? which is available in various colors.
If the skeletonized look is what you desire try bead blasting which gives a subdued, non-glare finish.
Old 11-02-2015, 05:21 PM
Steel Addict

G10 comes in a wide variety on colors other than black. Camo is available from Midwest knife supply. http://usaknifemaker.com/knife-handl...x3-layers.html

Erik
Old 11-02-2015, 05:36 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnccutter View Post
G10 comes in a wide variety on colors other than black. Camo is available from Midwest knife supply. http://usaknifemaker.com/knife-handl...x3-layers.html

Erik
To get that camp effect it must be textured with checkering. The results may turn badly. Linen micarta is a smooth choice.

Too bad we did not hear from the person who began this topic I feel odd that he has no input.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:08 AM
Enthusiast

Hey everyone, sorry I never replied to all this. I kind of got sucked into work and had to put knife making off for awhile, but I'm back! I'll remember to check back more often!

PS I still have all these knives(and a lot more). Still awaiting heat treat!

Last edited by Waters Knives; 07-14-2016 at 02:19 AM.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:18 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel666 View Post
The CPM154 is stainless steel and very difficult for a first time maker. The 1095 carbon steel is basic and not considered high quality because it rusts easily and usually requires a black coating.
It is your first time grinding?
This was my first time grinding knife steel, and the first time I used my new grinder or sander (Craftsman 2x42). I was practicing on mild steel using a 1x30 which was terrible so then I built a filing jig. It was ok but was a lot of work even with a rough cut file, so then I got the craftsman which still could be better.. I want a KMG.
Old 07-14-2016, 02:25 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel666 View Post
The CPM 154 blade steel is not supposed to be beveled (sharpened) before a stress relief cycle to prevent warping during the hardening process. After the austenitized steel is gets a cryogenic bath in liquid nitrogen the unsharpened blade blanks get a final tempering to reduce brittleness.
I'm still a newbie to you guys and have only recently started to experiment with my on HT so I'm not trying to argue, but CPM 154 is Air hardening. So that means it can have an edge thickness of .0015" minimum if memory serves.? That knife is far from sharp, the edge is still at least 1/16".
Old 07-14-2016, 08:35 AM
Founding Member / Moderator

CPM154 can be air quenched but you'll get one to two points higher hardness at quench if you quench in oil. Even when air quenched it is in air at a 4 bar minimum, not still air. Stainless is pricey compared to carbon steels so you want to get the best results possible. Besides, the commercial knife manufacturers nearly always choose the simplest hardening process for any given steel because it is easier, cheaper, and faster. Our advantage as custom knife makers is that we can take the time to squeeze the most from out blade steel and that is one of the main reasons most informed buyers will pay our prices.

Always get a data sheet for the steel you plan to use and read it carefully:
https://www.alphaknifesupply.com/Pic.../CPM154-DS.pdf

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 07-14-2016, 11:05 AM
Guru

Waters awesome first knives! So you want a kmg huh? yeh you do i have one its deffinitly my favorite tool! i went from a 4x36 to the kmg HUGE difference i actually tried out a grizzly after i got the kmg and yeh its a good grinder too but ill keep my kmg anyday. very easy to kit out how you want it too. I do have a question your blades are 1095 and cpm154 right? how do you plan on heat treating them? are you going it your self or sening out? you have a oven? forge?

Tags
1095, back, blade, carbon, cpm, drop point, first time, g10, grinding, handle material, handles, heat, heat treat, home, knife, knives, made, material, post, show, small, stainless, stainless steel, steel, tanto