MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Newbies Arena

The Newbies Arena Are you new to knife making? Here is all the help you will need.

Old 02-01-2017, 02:30 PM
Steel Addict

Is it possible to give Micarta a distressed look?

Just finished up etching a blade. The only color of Micarta handle material I have is black linen. Is it possible to give it a distressed look so it kind of goes with the blade?
Old 02-01-2017, 03:00 PM
Steel Addict

Perhaps a picture of your blade so we can see what you are trying to match

I know I've seen people have used dye on mic arts with good results. With it being black dye seems out of the equation. Though on a scrap piece you could try using something like bleach on it. Perhaps roughing it up a bit to help the bleach wick into it. Let it soak for say 5-15minutes then rinse. Then see if it looks like it's giving the effect you are looking for.

Not sure if your definition of distressed is the same as mine though. But what ever you decide to try. Try it on a scrap piece first.
Old 02-01-2017, 03:29 PM
Founding Member / Moderator

The best way I've used to distress Micarta is sand blasting but that works best on canvas Micarta. You could try it on linen but the effect may not be as strong...

Your question may already have been answered - try the Search button first!

Old 02-01-2017, 03:48 PM
Guru

sand blasting would work really well....also (if this is the knife you sent me a pic of that you etched) what may look good is to only sand the micarta to a low grit (no buffer) that way it wont be to shiny but also take a dremmel with hmm any number of lil sanding bits or even a cut off wheel or a carbide bit anything really and use it to texture the handle either do a pattern like with the cut off wheel you could just use it to put diagonal lines both ways (or one way) or even a random kinda thing take the bit or cut off and just put random little divots all over the place just don't go to deep once you get the whole thing covered it should look prity good...if it is that knife you sent me a pic of I think the randomness with a sanding bit or carbide bit would look best
Old 02-01-2017, 04:30 PM
Steel Addict

Here are a few pics of the blade. Hoping the scales glue on ok.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxh...w?usp=drivesdk
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bxh...w?usp=drivesdk
Old 02-01-2017, 04:34 PM
Steel Addict

Would be great if the bleach would work! I was trying to figure out how to get the spine distressed looking after samding the handle was complete. If I could dunk ot all in bleach that would be awesome. If it doesnt work, I was thinking of just polishing the spine but im not sure how that would look. Love the dremel idea, I think I will do that either way.
Old 02-01-2017, 04:52 PM
Guru

I don't know about bleach but I have etched a blade put the handle on and ground off the etching around the sides of the tang then re etched it and it etched the exposed steel did nothing to the g10 material I don't THINK it would do anything to micarta test on a scrap to make sure it wont hurt the micarta

Tags
awesome, blade, buffer, canvas micarta, etched, etching, file, glue, handle, handle material, how to, knife, material, micarta, pattern, sand, sanding, scales, steel, tang