MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions > The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum

The Folding Knife (& Switchblade) Forum The materials, techniques and the designing of folding knives.

View Poll Results: Tip up or down with pocket clip?
1. Tip up 1 50.00%
2. Tip down 1 50.00%
3. No clip 0 0%
Voters: 2. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-05-2021, 07:12 PM
Master

Tip up or down with pocket clip?

What is your preference with pocket clips for folder carry, tip up or tip down?

Old 11-06-2021, 05:24 AM

up, handle and blade are already oriented for deployment.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 11-06-2021, 08:52 AM
Super Moderator

Send a message via AIM to Ed Caffrey Send a message via Yahoo to Ed Caffrey
Typically, these days, the carry position is tip up, with the clip being attached to the rear/handle of the knife. That being said, you also have to choose how comfortable you are with the involved risk/liability factors.

Way back when I was getting folder making tips from Kit Carson (RIP), he gave me some very valuable advice.... Do Not install pocket clips in a tip up carry configuration, unless you are are fully confident in the blade closed retention/detent system you use.

Being a new folder maker at the time, that kinda threw me for a loop, until Kit explained that he had been sued years earlier due to a client badly cutting themselves because the detent for the closed position had not held the blade completely in. As the person was pulling the knife out, the blade tip caught the inside of the pocket and went through the jeans, and into the person's leg. Kit never did say much else about the injury, but I will always remember how he told me that he almost went broke defending himself in the law suit. I will also never forget him telling me.....
"You've been warned! And if I ever hear of you making a tip up carry folder or flipper, I will personally come to Montana a kick your a$$!"

All you have to do is a search for "Kit Carson Folder" and you will see that all of his folders have the clips mounted in a point down carry. Thankfully, Kit never did really come to Montana and kick me, but every time he saw me put out a new folder with the clip mounted in the tip up carry configuration, I would get a phone call or email pointedly asking me if my closed detent was "good".

Caffreyknives@gmail.com

"Every CHOICE has a CONSEQUENCE, and all your CONSEQUENCES are a result of your CHOICES."
Old 11-06-2021, 02:09 PM
Steel Addict

I carried a knife for so many years (at least 65+ yrs) that didn't have a clip I never really got comfortable with a clip. My pocketknife just lays in bottom of pocket ready for use.... but do have to put hand all the way to bottom of jean pocket. Perhaps not the fastest deploy, just the way I learned. I'm too old now to worry about trying for a faster deployment.

Ed's logic about tip down makes sense, if the blade ever did come open on the way out it could hurt.
Old 11-06-2021, 06:47 PM
Master

Good lesson there Ed, thanks for sharing that!

Old 11-07-2021, 06:25 AM

I had pretty much the same conversation with Kit way back at one of my early TR Hammer-ins. He was pretty vocal about the negatives and I totally understand where he was coming from. However, the non-positive retention issue applies to all pocket knives not just those with clips and can happen with any of them whether clipped to the pocket ledge or laying around in the pocket in general. He had no rebuttal for that (not that I was being confrontive, just stating a given).

OP asked what one prefers - I prefer point up, based on my experience with doing electrical work and other things while on a ladder, pipe gallery, tree, etc. With only one hand free, I don't like to be fumbling around orientating a knife while trying to get something skinned, cut, trimmed, etc. while maintaining control of the situation. Bottom line is be smart enough to secure a knife that has positive retention in the first place.

Yes, I have had knives that were a little "loose", but found them inappropriate for my situations. They usually reside in my box of junk knives up high on a shelf in the shop.

Registered Master Artist - GA Council for the Arts
C Rex Custom Knives

Blade Show Table 6-H
Old 11-13-2021, 03:27 PM
Guru

I live in New Mexico and read the knife laws. Every knife regardless of length if carried concealed is considered a concealed weapon. Also assisted open is considered the same as an automatic. Completely legal if not concealed though. So a clip that shows the knife, tuck your shirt in and no deep pocket clips.

But then if they decide to arrest you they have to prove you were carrying it for nefarious and malicious reasons.
It is a Class three felony if they can prove you were up to no good though.
I have a Bear Ops assisted open I removed the spring to weaken, but it works fine without it, but it came tip down with the clip covering the pivot screw. Says its 14C28N and seems like it, but their S30V knives turned out to be 8Cr13 with .2% vanadium instead of 4.00%. So no telling with that company.

Last edited by jimmontg; 11-13-2021 at 03:39 PM. Reason: punctuation
Old 11-15-2021, 02:01 PM
Master

Fortunately CA knife carry is fairly simplified.

The production ones I have are tip down and likely due to the legal aspects dictating that mounting position. With flippers or thumb stud actuation, catching those on a withdrawal motion is a possibility though less of a hazard tip down. The user would have to reorient the knife position under most use situations.

Old 11-16-2021, 03:15 AM
Guru

Hmmm, Calif. knife laws make more sense than NM.

Go figure, too bad its gun laws are not as sensible. Of course an automatic is legal here in New Mexico if not concealed as if I'd pay that much for something a thumb stud can do almost as fast, but it wouldn't look as cool.

Concealed is illegal except in a car it must be concealed, same for a gun, go figure.

Tags
a, advice, back, bee, blade, choose, deployment, detent, fac, flipper, folder, forge, handle, kit, kit carson, knife, knives, making, pocket, pocket clip, pocketknife, retention, switchblade, tips