MEMBER ITEMS FOR SALE
Custom Knives | Other Knives | General Items
-------------------------------------------

Go Back   The Knife Network Forums : Knife Making Discussions > Custom Knife Discussion Boards > Knife Making Discussions

Knife Making Discussions A place to discuss issues related to all aspects of the custom knifemaking community.

Old 12-19-2004, 10:17 PM
Guru

Why I make knives .......and Happy Holidays.

If I added all the time ive spent making knives it would be around 3 years. Back when I was 17 or so I made knives in a neighbors Shop and learned a little from him. Ive had my own shop now for nearly a year. It wasnt till tonight that I realized why I make knives.

Went to a Boy Scout Court of Honor tonight for my Nephew. He was recieving his Eagle Scout Award. Now this boy isnt much into knives, not much into outdoors or anything to do with hunting but he is about the most genuine kid his age I know. After it was all over and everyone joined for refreshments I pulled him and his parents along with a few others to the side and presented him with one of my Bird & Trout knives. On the back of the sheath I had burned in my logo and his name with the date and EAGLE SCOUT. The knife had a thong that went through a drilled dear antler. It brought tears to his eyes. Not that I meant it to go this way but most the remaining time Revolved around that scout and his new Knife. I saw tears in his parents eyes and many questions about the knife came from a lot of people.

Now, That boy received a lot of gifts but none received the recognition that knife did. Something about a knife and Boy Scouts that go together I guess. Now I could have given him a nice Buck, Gerber, Kershaw, Benchmade but none would have got talked about like a Handcrafted Knife.

I went home with a renewed vigor. Cant wait to make another knife and to see the happiness it brings the new owner. I have a lot of production knives that ive aquired over the years but none of them mean as much to me as my first Handcrafted knife By Maker and friend David Johansen. Not sure if I ever will buy another production knife again but I sure do have a nice wish list of knives from various Makers and friends here on the forums that will some day grace my Gun safe and shelves.

I hope everyone has a Merry Christmas and that the New Year brings everyone nothing but Health and Happiness.

Shane

shane@shaneivieknives.com

Last edited by SKIVIE; 12-19-2004 at 10:47 PM.
Old 12-19-2004, 10:43 PM
Super Moderator

An excellent story, Shane! And all the best to you and yours!

Old 12-19-2004, 11:31 PM
Skilled

Send a message via MSN to chrisinbeav Send a message via Yahoo to chrisinbeav
Hey Shane, I know how you feel. I, for the first time, went through something similar a couple days before Thanksgiving. The formal carving set that I posted around that time was given to my boss at work. Not as a gift, he did order it. When I brought it to work and opened the case for him the first time all he did was, "oh my.... (gasp)" And that was it. That right there made me feel better about any other knife I have made up to that point. That something I made was truely appreciated.

So keep up the good work, and I look forward to viewing your future posts.

Shane, from my family to yours, I wish you all the best holiday season.

Chris Nilluka
Old 12-20-2004, 09:23 AM
Living Legend

Cool story, Shane! Those treasures stay important for the rest of one's life!

Merry Christmas and a wonderful 2005 to you and yours, and to all at KNET!
Old 12-20-2004, 11:46 AM
Skilled

Send a message via AIM to Ron Claiborne Send a message via Yahoo to Ron Claiborne
i think the best knives i have ever made was the ones i have given away , the look in there eyes are worth more than money ,and i can spend it until i die ,the best knive i have are gifts that i did not exspect ,
we are very lucky people in that we can build a life long memery with just a few hours work
and its true the giver gets the best gift , a heat felt thanks is the riches of this craft , and life long friends
thanks for remiding me and shearing you story with us
Bowie

you know its also great to have friends over at the shop to spend a day invite a new maker to work with you a few hours , and to watch them learn and to see the look that cant be told in words with the excitment of being able to work with tools that they may not have as yet to teach is to open doors that they may never have been able to cross through if you had not taken the time to give back what others have given you open the doors to your shop and heart ,teach, you will learn more than they will and you get to watch them grow and surpass your skills is the best pride i can think of to remember where they started .and to know you opened a door is also what this is about hoping all have a merry christmas and a renewed understanding as to why you make knives

Last edited by Ron Claiborne; 12-20-2004 at 12:11 PM.
Old 12-20-2004, 01:55 PM
Guru

Yes sir, there is nothing better than knowing that something you have carefully crafted has a home with someone who appreciates the time and effort that were put into it. Thanks for sharing your experience. I feel honored and touched that you mentioned the knife I made for you. You just made my day!!!!! Thanks!
Old 12-20-2004, 03:25 PM
Skilled

Great story Shane! It's an inspiration.

Besides the gift, it's good to know there's still some hard working boys out there that deserve such a gift. Gives one hope in the future. Tell him congrats from the 'guys' online.

Steve

Old 12-20-2004, 04:38 PM
Steel Addict

Shane, that's great. What a big heart.

Years ago, I was attending the Southern Calif. Blade Collectors' show in Pasadena. I had made a group of knives for Vietnam Veterans there, and I had just one "extra" for sale on the table. Here's the pic:
One side dedicated to those who fought and died in Viet Nam, the other to those who did not return (POW/MIAs).
He was a gentle man, kind and warm, and told me that the knife reminded him of his tour in Viet Nam, how he was shot up inside the tin can of a gun turrent on a boat, how the guys around him fell, and how he was captured and spend a few years as a Prisoner of War. I was stunned, staring blankly as this hero walked away. Here I was, lucky beyond measure, taking for granted every blessing that I counted on as guaranteed.
I nearly ran after him, and handed him the knife. I told him through cracking voice that of all the people who would dearly love to have this knife, he was the only one I'd met that deserved it. We must have looked pretty silly, crying like babies in each others arms in the crowded aisle of the big show...
There is another man, very special to me, who has served in WW2, Korea, and Viet Nam. I'm putting together a commemorative for him as I write... there are so many deserving, and so many unrecognized. May we all bless them and pray for their well-being.

"All you have must someday be given." --anonymous

Full time professional custom knifmaker for Knife Users, Military, Professionals, Collectors, and Museums

I love this job!

Old 12-20-2004, 05:09 PM
Guru

WOW ! I can only imagine the tears Jay. That is super cool what you did. In your mind you paid a small token to this gentlemen you speak of for the safety you enjoy each day, but to him.......im sure he will never forget you sacrafice.

Very Cool !

I know I have mentioned it before, but its sure good to have you here in the forums. Your going to make a geat addition to this amazing group of individuals.

Shane

shane@shaneivieknives.com
Old 12-20-2004, 05:58 PM
Steel Addict

Hey, Shane, thanks. I'm not often sure that I should post my opinions, as there are many who would rather I not. Thanks for your support.
I looked at your site and I'm impressed at what you're making for such a short time in this business. You will go far, friend.

Jay

Full time professional custom knifmaker for Knife Users, Military, Professionals, Collectors, and Museums

I love this job!

Old 12-21-2004, 10:53 AM
Enthusiast

It's awfully difficult to follow these two memorable moments experienced by Shane and Jay. To me, the point is driven home once again. In that special moment a "special event" is created in which the spirit of giving truly makes the giver much happier than the receiver. Whatever the circumstances in this hectic world, pleasure is always given when you make someone happy. I won't bore anyone with my experiences, suffice to say I understand the feelings Jay and Shane independently felt as I am a father of an eagle scout and a Viet Nam veteran.

My salutes to you both and all the others that have given of themselves--Merry Christmas!

Dan

Old 12-22-2004, 07:39 PM
Hall of Famer

Send a message via Yahoo to DiamondG Knives
Shane:
That was a very nice gesture, and a memory that that young man will carry for the rest of his life. I agree with Ron and the others here, my favorite knife Ive made are the ones Ive given away.

I honestly belive that God smiles on those who do for their fellow man.

God Bless
Mike

Old 12-23-2004, 06:03 PM
Steel Addict

Any young man who makes Eagle Scout needs to be recognized and I like what you did for him. I'm retired military and I made a knife for a retired military friend who was a POW for a period time before he escaped. He died a couple of years ago and I still miss him showing up at my shop for coffee. I never heard him complain, not once.

Tags
blade, forge, knife, knives