View Single Post
Old 05-08-2021, 09:15 AM
Steel Addict

Let's see if I can work up the first set that works good before we do anything. "IF" you've got a good ideas would be good. The only thing I can think of now is just a little "L" bracket welded to the end of press die holder. I think it's pretty simple how to hold die in top "L" bracket, but bottom I'm still thinking on.

I'd not planned to do anything just yet - I've been playing so much on tooling I've not had a chance to use the press in a few days.

Later

Edit: I replied directly to Chris's post and never saw Ed's post until now, 6 hrs later. I've been thinking about how to do the quick change, and have looked at your "Orange Crush" to see how dies are mounted in it. I "think" I've come up with a way that will require welding to the die mounting for the press, but I'm not too bashful for a tad of welding {g} (I like that flame)

Here's something along the lines of what I'm thinking for combo widening and flatting die with the quick change setup. The block welded to frame is existing, so the "L" bracket would be welded to that part of frame allowing the die to slide in. The "L" bracket would have a stop on rear side. I tap that drops down from top to hold die in place, with a bracket to drop a pin to hold bottom die in place. I can see it in my mind much better than writing it down.

Note the flat die is 1/16" higher than the arc of the widening die. That 1/16" acts as an 1/8" "kisser" as the top die is also 1/16". If more than 1/8" spacer is needed, that's easy to do.

Last edited by KenH; 05-08-2021 at 04:38 PM.