View Single Post
Old 09-11-2007, 10:57 PM
Steel Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by randy6679
Mike, thanks for the info, that really helps! Maybe you can answer a technical question for me... The motor on the band saw is a 1725 RPM. The final wheel that the actual blade goes on is 63.5 inches around, so one revolution of the wheel makes the blade travel 63.5 inches. Will it be possible to slow it down to 100 FPM with out a variable speed motor? Also any info on where to get the pulleys and jack shaft pulleys, what exactly should I ask for. Thanks again for any info!!!
Hi Randy,

You know, math was never my long suit, if it were, I'd be a lot better off in life than I am. . .

I suppose that it would be possible to get the blade speed slow enough without the use of a variable speed motor, you'd simply have to have a couple more step-down pulley segments. . . how many is beyond me, that's why I opted for the variable speed motor. Besides you get a little more flexibility with a variable speed motor, as you can slow it down for thick hard stock or speed it up for thinner softer materials.

Sorry that I couldn't be of any more help,
-Mike

"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, beer in the other, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"